hearing protection can be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Wood magazine got together with an audiologist and published a good article on hearing protection. My ear muffs are decades old and not up to modern standards so when they tested the Work Tunes style with digital AM/FM tuning and readout, presets, and a capability to hook up my Walkman I checked pricing on Amazon. Sale price, free shipping and two days later the mailman was in my driveway blowing his horn. :gar-Bi I tested these out and they pick up the local C&W station, and the classic rock station from Raleigh 75 miles away, I am pleased!!! Firing up my tractor which has about the same noise level as a planer running full tilt I found the noise reduction very satisfactory :eusa_clap Classic rock and woodworking, what could be better !:gar-La;

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, I've been wanting to get a set of those. Have the HF attenuated headphones, which turn off the ambient mic when the loud noises start, but in order for them to work, one must remember to replace the batteries. a cool feature, but not nearly as cool as having MUSIC while working.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Gleen, glad that you upgraded from the old muffs. I bought LOML the set with just the radio, and she is quite pleased with them. I am thinking of getting myself a pair. I am deaf in one ear, and always leery of loud noise levels. Currently I use one ear plug (states it is good for 28dB).

Glennbear

Glenn
Glennbear, did you have to buy a cable for hooking up the walkman, or did it come with a cable?

Bob

These come with a cable but the trick for me is going to be finding a dedicated place to keep the cable when not in use since I have a propensity to misplace anything smaller than a breadbox . :rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
My wife wears a set by Sony and loves them. She can hear Rush and Hannity while working in the yard!!

:wsmile:

(And can't hear me!!)

:rotflm:

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I have been using a set of these for the last couple of years and really love them. They didn't have digital tuning (or any type of indicator at all to tell what station you were on) so it looks like it is time to upgrade.

The best thing about these is that I often did not put on my muffs simply because they would block out the radio and I was only going to have something running for a second or two, but now I pretty much keep them on all the time in the shop. Of course my wife now complains that she has to come out to the shop to get my attention since I can't hear the phone.

R

rickc

I have had a set for several years now and really enjoy them. I use them in the shop and while mowing my lawn. Nice thing is I don't have to crank up the volume just to hear them. With outside noise reduced, it doesn't take as much volume to listen to the music.

I can also "enhance" my music choices via satellite radio. I park just outside my shop, so if I have my satellite radio set to transmit over an FM frequency I can pick that up. Final option - an iPod with the transmitter attached - put it nearby (or in my pocket) and I can listen to that as well.

Only complaint I have with the headsets is that channel selection is just a knob. No marking as to where you are. Sometimes it takes a bit to find the station you want. However that is a SMALL complaint.

Badabing

New User
Joe
I've been thinking about getting a set of these but my concern is this: how well do safety glasses/goggles fit with the earmuffs in place? Most of the time I'm in the shop working, I'm wearig a dust mask and safety glasses. I stopped wearing my expensive dust mask because it interfered with the glasses by my ears.

So what's the verdict on this from those that have the ear muffs already?

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Oh wow - once again I'm out in left field from everyone. I [STRIKE]enjoy[/STRIKE], er "use" the head phone time as quiet time - even with the rumble of the lawn mower going in the "background" I try to clear my mind of the day's trials and tribulations. I try to think of nothing. I wouldn't want a radio playing - it's probably because I work in a noisy environment (not enough to require hearing protection - but it's never quiet).

I do have a radio in the shop (duh!) but I can't hear it over the scroll saw while it's in use. And that's okay - I think I'd get to foot stompin' along with a song and get completely off the lines in the pattern!

However, the radio is a necessity when it's clean up time, that's for sure!

Glennbear

Glenn
I've been thinking about getting a set of these but my concern is this: how well do safety glasses/goggles fit with the earmuffs in place? Most of the time I'm in the shop working, I'm wearig a dust mask and safety glasses. I stopped wearing my expensive dust mask because it interfered with the glasses by my ears.

From the earmuff data sheet-- ""Spectacle temples should be as thin as possible and fit close to the head" Eyeglasses for me are a must and mine have thin metal arms so they do not deform the muff seal at all. My safety goggles and AO Safety cartridge mask both use thin elastic straps so interference is not an issue with them either :wsmile: I intend on adding stick on magnifying lenses to the goggles as soon as I can remember to buy them :eusa_doh:so that will eliminate one piece of "facial hardware".

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I went to Amazon and could not figure out which one you bought. Help:eusa_danc:eusa_danc!

Glennbear

Glenn

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Glenn. I need something better than the small plugs I wear. It's better than nothing, but when you have three machines running, it's loud. Radio reception in the basement isn't great though.

R

rickc

What I have found is glasses with thin bows, it is no problem. The thick ones, I tilt so the bows are above my ears, and the headphones supply the pressure to keep them on. Works fine for standard safety glasses. If you have prescription (bifocals?) it would probably not work so well.

They are not unusable, it is just after a while, you feel the pressure on the bows against your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS