hard maple that is soaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Hello friends,
Well I am done with Warrant Officer school. I have a month break before I have to go for more training and I am going to get some projects finished up before I sell my equipment. I left some hard maple 8/4 outside with a couple tarps on it but the tarps came off somehow ( I think my seven year old had something to do with the bungee cords disappearing) and now its soaked. Should I treat it as green wood or allow it to dry inside for a couple weeks.:eusa_thin I don't have a moister meter so I am shooting in the dark. The wood is going to become a fold down bench and a dinning table. Let me know what you all think. have a blessed weekend friends.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I doubt it is as wet as green wood, but I am sure it has taken on some moisture beyond the level of air-dried. Hopefully the top and sides of the stack got the most moisture. We haven't had a lot of rain in a while, which in your case is a good thing. I would bring it inside and let it dry in your shop for a few weeks. Stack and sticker it, for good air flow, or you could get some mold. You would want to do that anyway if it is going to be used for inside furniture (rained on or not). It would help to check it with a moisture meter...maybe you can borrow one from a member in your area?

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Depending upon how wet it got, and how long it was wet, there may be some problems. Allow it to dry inside - it's not the same as green wood but you want it to dry slowly, and not at a high heat for the first few days.

Another alternative to stacking and stickering is to stand it up along the walls. You're probably looking at a couple of weeks minimum.

You'll want to be sure to check it with a meter before using it.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors