Hanging cabinets on external wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
We have need for more storage on a screened porch which has HardiPlank siding and are considering repurposing kitchen cabinets for this. My concerns are: 1) the siding is lapped and a cabinet hanging on it would provide a haven for insects in the gaps, 2) if we caulk the gaps between the cabinets and lapped siding we trap moisture diffusing through the wall which would normally escape between the overlapping siding planks. I think hanging cabinets is a bad idea but I want others' opinions. All comments appreciated, Thanks.
Bob

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If your not covering the entire wall then it shouldn't be a problem, as far as your gap, why not make vertical strips scribed to fit the wall and the back of the cabinet. Or you can skin the side of the cabinet and scribe that to fit the wall, no caulk. Just my two pennies

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
If you scribe, which I think is preferable, you'll still have to caulk because of the ridges etc. on the surface of the hardiplank. If you don't want to scribe, put some foam insulation behind as a backer and caulk over this.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I can't tell how finished and "proper" you need this. Obviously, fiber cement siding isn't designed to take the weight of cabinets, so the premium solution would be to take it off and cut it out wherever you want to hang them. It's not doing anything for the envelope other than acting as a rain barrier and under a porch that should not be a concern. (If it is, I'd be more worried about how are the cabinets going to hold up!)

I'd patch the screening so it keeps out the bugs to avoid concerns with any insect haven. Then scribe the blocking as others have mentioned. Don't seal, just let it breath.

The simplest solution would be to make French cleats, top and bottom, mounted on 2x4 blocking via long 1/4" wood screws through to the studs and painted to match the siding. Hang the cabinets on these. Don't worry about the air space behind the cabinets. Or put screening around the gap.

How many cabinets? Those mudroom seats with wall cabinets/cubbies above as stand-alone furniture are popular. For just 36-60" of wall cabinets, you could make a large bench with a back that supports the cabinets so it is all movable.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. The consensus seems to be that there are ways to hang these cabinets to waylay my concerns. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I like the bench supporting the cabinets - AND I have already made high back benches that could possibly be used for this. Didn't think of that. Don't know yet how many cabinets there will be yet. Thanks.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Had a similar issue when we added a screened porch to the back of my house.

To prevent insect infiltration, I filled the gaps with foam, then cut the excess off flush and applied a layer of caulk over the foam.

After it was painted it looks great, actually. Been there >3 yrs so far its doing great.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hope your cabinets are not particle board or MDF with Melamine facing. Those products don't stand up to outside temperature and humidity variations very well. DAMHIKT

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Most good wood cabinets, not particle board of MDF, will hold up well outside unless they are directly exposed to moisture. I would make sure that the back of the cabinets were sealed with a good varnish or other moisture resistant finish. Generally, the humidity inside of a conditioned home is considerably lower than the outdoor humidity. I don't think that a lot of moisture is going to migrate into your cabinets from inside your home. You could also attach a moisture barrier to the back of the cabinets, being careful to seal it to the cabinet perimeter, thus keeping moisture from entering the cabinets from the back. Most homes use a moisture barrier on the inside of exterior walls. If there were enough moisture moving from conditioned spaces through the walls to the outdoors, I think that we would all be dealing with mildew, mold, and an rot issues inside our walls, and we aren't.

As someone else said, you could scribe a trim to make a nice transition between the cabinets and the Hardi-Plank siding. Caulk the trim and paint it to match the siding.

Pete

We have need for more storage on a screened porch which has HardiPlank siding and are considering repurposing kitchen cabinets for this. My concerns are: 1) the siding is lapped and a cabinet hanging on it would provide a haven for insects in the gaps, 2) if we caulk the gaps between the cabinets and lapped siding we trap moisture diffusing through the wall which would normally escape between the overlapping siding planks. I think hanging cabinets is a bad idea but I want others' opinions. All comments appreciated, Thanks.
Bob

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
The cabinets don't exist yet; whatever I buy/build will be real wood. I am strongly leaning toward incorporating them in a bench as metioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS