Hand Saw Restorations Disston 3-1/2 - 4 1/2 Point RIP blade, Handle Rabbet Hole

Carabnr

Cara
User
I got an old 26" skew back with a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 (PPI) point rip blade with no handle from Ed Lebetkin, last year before he closed the tool store. It seems to be a very old Disston, with 5 holes, the blade has some of the etch but not enough to ID the date. The older D115 and D8 rips would have the option of ordering low PPI Less than 5 ... I was thinking this would be a good saw to rip greenwood/ crotch wood in particular, but upon inspection it doesn't have the typical tooth shape for a rip saw, it has a 20-22* rake angle, WHERE 0-8* would be normal.

First, I tried fitting a D-8 thumb hole handle (1878-1888) but it doesn't align perfectly, only the first and last holes do. I also partially restored this handle, but still need to give it a good shellacking.

I got another D-8 thumb hole handle off of Ebay thinking that might work, but they don't align as well as the first, and the saw kerf seems a bit pinched after splitting some, not sure how this might affect the saw blade. The Medallion indicates its from 1917-1940.

I just found what looks like an old Disston Wodland rip saw with a D shaped handle on Ebay, and I got to wondering if that's what my saw may have had originally. None of the info on the DIstonian Institute covers woodland saws...

I'm really just not sure what to do now, keep an eye out for an 1889-1917 era, or drill out the plate and use one of the handles I bought.

I would like it to have a thumb hole saw handle, but not sure how critical all the details are since I can't really date the saw blade... Looks closest to a very early D8, similar to this 1874 Choice saw, except I can see a faint D in the center. My saw also has the saying etched "For Beauty and Utility... like the final photo.

I really want to make the saw whole again... thoughts would be appreciated.

choiceetch1 1874.jpg
d8etch4 Pre 28.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would recommend that you carve your own handle This what I had done before when a handle was either to damaged, wasn’t original to the saw, or didn’t fit my hand. So, I then lay the plate on the handle adjusted for the correct hang and mark for the bolt holes. Drill the handle for the bolts, fit it all together, then refine the handle for comfort and appearance.
IMG_2572.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

Carabnr

Cara
User
Nice work there Richard! Thanks for your thoughts, that's what I was originally going top do. I have the apple wood all planed down and ready to go, but the Disston D8 blade has a hump back, to get the hand closer to the plate. You would need some kind of funky saw to do that, and I don't think a ZIP saw with a round blade will go deep enough. Though I haven't checked just in case the saw is really a very early version of a D8.

How did you drill out for the bolts, a forstner bit?

Nice Moravian workbench too! I love mine, what a sweet thing to have. Yours looks a lot cleaner than mine though.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work there Richard! Thanks for your thoughts, that's what I was originally going top do. I have the apple wood all planed down and ready to go, but the Disston D8 blade has a hump back, to get the hand closer to the plate. You would need some kind of funky saw to do that, and I don't think a ZIP saw with a round blade will go deep enough. Though I haven't checked just in case the saw is really a very early version of a D8.

How did you drill out for the bolts, a forstner bit?

Nice Moravian workbench too! I love mine, what a sweet thing to have. Yours looks a lot cleaner than mine though.
Cutting the shape I generally cut everything by hand, with a bow saw, I also cut the blade slot by hand as well. Generally I process everything by hand. From there it’s files and rasps.

Carabnr

Cara
User
Sweet looking bow saw, I’ve been getting okay results with a coping saw, on another saw I’m working on. Started out planing the applewood down by hand, drawing it out and boring 2 holes 1 1/8” with a forstner bit. Then I cut the saw side out and have lined up the centers, now I’m trying to decide which tip saw is the right thickness…. Before finishing up.

What did you use to bore the holes to set the screws in?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're looking for saw handle templates this is a great site: Blackburn Tools - Saw handle templates. It has templates that you can print in a wide range of examples. Another nice feature is you can select a size that best fits your hand. When you print them make sure the printer is set to use the exact size and not to "fit the page".

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use forstner bits for the counter bores in a brace, bradpoints in an eggbeater for the through holes. Now for the slot for the plate. If I’m making a handle for a saw that I’m rehabbing I simply use that saw before I set the teeth. As for getting it centered and straight, careful layout, setup, and relaxed sawing gets it done.
so here is a shameless promotion, I’m facilitating a handsaw skills workshop this month, there is one more slot open, I’m also putting on a handsaw restoration workshop later this year, date to be determined. The location is an easy drive from your location. These workshops are made up of about six participants and last approximately six to seven hours long. Cost is a donation to the scholarship fund. We would love to have your participation if your are interested.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS