gunstock finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
ok guys,im refinishing a rifle stock. i have stripped it,sanded and stained it.now what to top coat it with:eusa_thin, spray on lacquer whould look good and be easy,as would spray on polyureathane,but would they be durable.i thought id go to the experts on this before i took the easy way out.any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

alleng

New User
allen
I do use the gun on a regular basis, it's about 15 years old. As for the wood, I'm not sure but I think it's walnut. I used minwax stain.

Attachments

• DSCN7676.JPG
    DSCN7676.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN7676a.JPG
    DSCN7676a.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN7677.JPG
    DSCN7677.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
When my father refinished stocks back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, he used Birchwood Casey Tru-oil stock finish. It was supplied in a little bottle and you just rubbed it on. Rub down with 0000 steel wool between coats. use 4-5 coats. One a night for a week. When done, apply a good carnoba wax. follow this link: www.birchwoodcasey.com $6.10 a 3 oz bottle.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I've only done it a couple times but used Tru-oil. I would think lacquer would not be a good finish. It's hard and would probably eventually craze from the extreme temperature changes and rifle normally goes through.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Not contradicting anything that has been said (as I am clueless), but I am curious. How or what is different with the Birchwood Casey or tru oil say compared to a penetrating finish like BLO or Tung oil or a mix of say blo and varnish?

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
True Oil was easy to use and only $1.00 a bottle----for awhile. It also has a proven record of performance(40 years or so). It would do a nice job for anybody and a good woodworker could make it look first class.
It's a wipe on varnish of some kind that's for sure, and a tung oil mix would do the same job. An experienced finisher would easily make the right mix for the job, but there is so much mechanical work on a stock that the usual stockmaker might spend more time on fit and checkering and go the easy route by using a premade finish.

alleng

New User
allen
i am using the tur oil,6 coats so far trying to fill all the grain. i was surprised to see what a beautiful finish this stuff makes, however it is very shiney,i was going for more of a satin look.is there a method of acheiving this after the final coat dries?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You could rub out the sheen some with some steel wool or a Scotch-brite pad. A good paste wax will also make the sheen a little more satin, if you don't overly buff it.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS