grizzly tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelefty

New User
eric
I'm setting up a custom woodworking shop from the ground up. In my research I've found grizzly tools to be competitive with the big names (powermwtic etc...). Does anyone have any opinions on setting up a professional shop with grizzly tool?

Bryan S

Bryan
First off Eric, welcome to the site.

I dont own any Grizzly tools so cant comment personally on them but from what I have read by far most who have them like them. There are folks here that have Grizzly equipment and they'll start chiming in soon enough.

Go to the who we are forum and introduce yourself there.

4yanks

New User
Willie
There is no substitute for inspecting the equipment before you buy. This is not so easy in the mail order market. Much like any manufaurer/importer, some Grizzly machinery is good, and some is less so. A good idea is to research reviews of each piece of machinery you wish to buy. Make your decision based on your research.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Everything that I have bought from Grizzly has been a fine piece of machinery. I have a TS, BS, and DP, and if I wasn't so impatient I also would have one of their jointers.
I am a hobbyist woodworker, I can't vouch for how well the equipment will hold up for professional use, but I think that you get good value for your money buying from Grizz.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh yea, Welcome to the site. Please drop by the Who We Are forum and tell us a little more about yourself, and your plans for this shop.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Eric,

One of our members here in the Hendersonville area is a professional finish carpenter and he has a large (32' x 60') shop equipped completely with Grizzly tools, several of which run on 3-phase power. Included in his power tools are a G0588 12" Sliding Table Saw, a G0480 10" Jointer, a G1033X 20" planer, a G0531 21" bandsaw, a G0450 37" dual drum sander, a G1140 6" x 80" Edge Sander, a G8622 Sliding Table Tilting Spindle Shaper, a G0441 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector and a G7948 20" Drill Press. He builds cabinets, doors and custom interiors (he recently finished a large project with coffered ceilings and paneling in one reception area, exposed cypress trusses with custom corbels and lots of built-in cabinetry and wainscoting). He recently helped me sand a large slab of African Rosewood (Bubinga) in his big drum sander and said he really likes all of his Grizzly tools.

BTW, I have a Grizzly G1023SLX table saw, a G1182HW 6" jointer, a G0555 14" Bandsaw with a riser block, a G1014Z 6" x 48" combination Belt and 9" disc Sander, and a G0528 Bench top Oscillating Spindle Sander. I love them all and they have run flawlessly. IMHO, Grizzly is tops in price/ performance.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Unfortunately, I have had problems either with my order or the item I ordered from Grizzly, and I have ordered quite a few things. I really don't know why I keep going back.

I have the Grizzly G-1021 planer, 2 hp dust collector, 10 in table saw, and the 16 in wood band saw.

All came with problems, missing/wrong parts and poor assembly instructions, not to mention very poor service in correcting these problems.

Maybe they have finally got their act together by now, I don't know, because the last purchase I made from them was about 4 years ago.

Sorry, but I just could not hold it back any longer. :eusa_booh

Talley - Mtnman

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have found that Grizzly tools are usually the best value for your dollar, but not always the best tool.

Clearly older european and US equipment offers outstanding performance. Also, many current european brands offer excellent quality and performance.

If there is a task where you clearly need the highest quality possible, then buy the best that you can afford. However for other tasks where good quality is acceptable, then consider Grizzly.

FYI I have over 35K of Grizzly tools in my shop, and have not had any problems with them. If you're considering a substantial investment, it's worth the trip to drive up to their showroom in Muncy, PA and spend a day reviewing their products in person.

Regards, Scott

M

McRabbet

I have found that Grizzly tools are usually the best value for your dollar, but not always the best tool.

If you're considering a substantial investment, it's worth the trip to drive up to their showroom in Muncy, PA and spend a day reviewing their products in person.

Regards, Scott
I can attest to that!
Grizzly7.JPG

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Mine have been as good as any

I have owned both a Delta Unisaw and now a Grizzly 1023SL, both were great. Three years ago I made a big purchase at the Grizzly store in Washington getting the tablesaw, bandsaw, sander, shaper and super sharpener station. All were easy to set up. All needed a little tweaking, but the same tweaking I have done with every other power tool I have bought. After I upgraded the bandsaw guides, it has purred like a kitten and done everything I put to it.

I did lots of online review of the various models before purchasing, but like several other posters, my trip to the actual store was very helpful. I had rented a U-Haul with a lift gate. I actually made a couple of changes to my order once I looked at the machines and compared them side by side. Often the changes to my decisions were not the machines but the accessories, especially the fences and tables.

Good Luck.

M

McRabbet

Re: Mine have been as good as any

I did lots of online review of the various models before purchasing, but like several other posters, my trip to the actual store was very helpful. I had rented a U-Haul with a lift gate. I actually made a couple of changes to my order once I looked at the machines and compared them side by side. Often the changes to my decisions were not the machines but the accessories, especially the fences and tables.

Good Luck.
I couldn't agree more with your decision to visit the store and "kick the tires". I've got five major Grizzly tools and several accessories and I bought them all at the Muncy, PA facility. I'm planning to stop there this summer, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS