Good Rivet Gun

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
Hey guys I know this isnt wood working but is a tool ?.
Back in the 70s I had rivet gun I bought at our Roses store I wore it out on various projects..I could have used screws but used

I recently bought an Arrow one at Lowes. It was supposed to be able to be used one handed….That was a joke.. I took it back and tried another Arrow one…It was longer so I figured I would have a little more leverage….It was harder to use. I tried smaller rivets in it…same issues!!! I wii take it back too.

I just wanted to use one like I used to but “made in China “ shot that down.

Do any of you guys use ones?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I use one I've had for probably 20 years. As you can see, it's barely one-handed. And even at that usually requires a couple of ratchets to get the stem to pop off. Here's the latest use of it - a mixing box that exhausts hot air from my wife's kiln and cools it enough to go through the exhaust fan. $600 if I bought one, $39 to have sendcutsend water jet the aluminum and $120 for the high temperature fan...

Attachments

• Kilk exhaust mixer.jpg
    Kilk exhaust mixer.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 87
  • Pop riveter.jpg
    Pop riveter.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 98

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Google ratcheting rivet guns. They come in manual and even battery powered ones now. No vouching for quality since my current one is probably a sister to your old one that died.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider the blue Harbor Freight rivet gun for $50.00. Needs hydraulic oil to start.
Bought one at a flea market decades back that needed a little oil and fixup. I've been using it ever since. I've been using 90 to 125 shop air pressure with no problems. Its awkward to hold at first, but it beats the heck out of my hand squeeze riveters. I never expected this thing to last like it has. If it goes bad tomorrow, I think I would simply go buy another. I don't use the pop rivets much but when I do, this is my go-to tool. Actually I have two of them, both bought used. I keep one set for big rivets and the other for small.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Might check with places like Spruce Aircraft. Also, see the big differences from crappy rivets to safe ones.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One big advantage of the air- hydraulic riveter is the lack of distracting hand tremors during the riveting process. The nose can be held tightly against the surface and the trigger pulled and you're done. The nearest comparison I can think of is the accuracy difference between a hand driven nail and an air tool driven nail.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS