Good finish for my benchtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Pete and Mike suggested I use the acrylic sheet and acetone method. But after seeing the posts about that method, I don't know now. I do need to seal this from moister. There are some small gaps that will trap moister.
I read it dries way too fast for a benchtop to be done correctly.

Anyone have an suggestions?

Anna-Catherine

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know what the acrylic sheet and acetone method is, but most work benches are finished with an easily repairable oil finish. Tung oil, Danish Oil, or anything like that. That way if you need to flatten the bench again, it will be easy to refinish. A film finish like Poly would likely be quickly damaged and be hard to repair. There aren't too many finishes that will seal the wood from moisture except an epoxy, most will slow the movement of moisture but not eliminate it. You might consider filling the gaps that you mentioned with epoxy and saw dust so they won't give you any problems.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

I don't know what the acrylic sheet and acetone method is,

It's secret sauce. My only concern is acetone on a glue up could spell disaster. Acetone is a solvent and will dissolve glue and Plexiglas for that matter. Seeing the top is pine, you know it's good and thirsty and bound to want to soak up that acetone. As the acetone that remains on the surface evaporates and leaves behind the Plexiglas it could possibly trap some acetone in the wood fiber giving the acetone even more time to eat away at the glue joints. I wouldn't do it, not on glue ups anyways.

Thanks

DavidF

New User
David
I would go with the tung oil finish myself. I recently sanded and scraped a couple years of gunk off of mine and followed that with three coats of tung oil and it looks nice; at least for the short term - benches will get messed up however hard you try not to:lol:

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Has anyone used Tried & True's Original Wood FInsih?

I am considering it for the benchtop.
Here is the Woodcrap version of what it is:

"Original Wood Finish is a highly polymerized linseed oil, combined with Beeswax. It dries to a fine finish reminiscent of the patina of well cared for antique furniture, yet it is durable and easy to use. It is commonly used on doors and windows, paneling and furniture. It may be used to revive any existing finish."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That would be an excellent finish for a bench. I have heard folks talk about issues with the cure time. You could probably do just as well and cheaper with BLO and paste wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS