Going lighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Not sure if this is the right section for this question but it does relate to finishing. :lol:

My new (to me) home has cedar plank siding that seems to be in pretty good shape. The problem is that it has been stained several times with the darkest brown wood stain that they could find and it just seems depressing to me. I would prefer natural cedar with just a preservative but I know that I can't have that. I would like to lighten the place up though. I guess I can paint it but I was wondering if I have any alternatives. TSP and power-washing? Bleach? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

sapwood

New User
Roger
Bill,
Sorry I can't answer your question . . . but I'm sure others can. I have cedar siding that I painted grey, the rustic brown was horrendous. Whatever choice you make, be careful using a power washer on the cedar (DAMHIKT). Cedar is soft and the water can get in places you don't want :cry:

Roger

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Roger,

Thanks for that! My first inclination was to rent the biggest, most powerful unit that they have and blast the heck out of it. Calmer heads will prevail. :lol:

Bill

Nativespec

New User
David
Bill:

The stain that is typically used is like a watered down paint. You would have to remove it, or paint over it. I prefer the natural aged color of cedar and treated decks, but some/most people insist on some other look.

David

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
David,

Thanks for the reply. I also prefer the natural cedar with just a sealant but I doubt I am going to be able to remove what is there now. I guess I'll have to clean it good and plan to paint it.

Thanks,
Bill

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
TSP with bleach is some wicked stuff and will cause substantial chemical burns if not handled appropriately. DAMHIKT.

I did get some Flood brand water based decking and siding stripper from the BORG and then power washed it off of my deck. Overall, it did lighten it up a good deal, but the power washer raised the grain substantially. For siding it may not be an issue.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Hi Travis,

I was going to try TSP or bleach, not both at the same time. :lol:

I have pretty much decided to power wash and then put on a good coat of primer and paint. It isn't exactly what I wanted but it should turn out ok.

Thanks,
Bill

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I did the mix to clean window frames of dirt and mildew. Wore gloves, but it dripped down the edges and it was a NASTY chemical burn.

If you want to try it, you should get a gallon try it in an inconspicuous spot and just use a scrub brush and rinse it off. IIRC, it was about $16 a gallon, and it did lighten my deck up substantially from the nasty looking dark brown it was stained.

Bill Mason

New User
Bill Mason
Travis,

I checked out the Flood web site and it sounds pretty interesting. I'll definitely give it a try and I might get lucky. Thanks! :icon_thum

Bill

Nativespec

New User
David
I am not a big fan of power washers-they can easily destroy wood, especially cedar. I have used the chemical sprayers (the ones you use for spraying "Round-Up") mixed with 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water and wait a little while and the spray it off (you may want to use a soft brush). You can then try TSP on the more stubborn areas, but bleach may be all you need.

If you have places around the house where carpenter bees visit, they make an additive for paint that they are not too fond of.

I always have a caulk gun with me as I work so I don't have drag the ladder around the house yet again.

Thanks,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS