Gluing/clamping jig question

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I'm starting on a gluing and clamping jig. I was thinking about using the so-called "toggle clamp" for this.
1688400008802.png

If anyone has any experience with these types of clamps, will they have enough clamping force for a proper gluing?

These will be small parts - 2, .875 x .875 x 3.0 inch pieces glued to a 1.187 x .125 inch x 10 inch piece. One at each end. So, 2 clamps attached to a board in such a way that both ends can be glued, and clamped at the same time, securely.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I'm starting on a gluing and clamping jig. I was thinking about using the so-called "toggle clamp.
If anyone has any experience with these types of clamps, will they have enough clamping force for a proper gluing?
Harbor Freight claims 500 pounds for theirs.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Yeah, that’d work.

I agree. A little tip that may be useful, I've found that the toggle clamps like that only need the front two screws installed for most things. I'll use all the screw holes if I'm using riser blocks. The Goodhand (GH) brand is an Asian copy of the popular DeStaCo brand. I've got a couple of that brand and they seem adequate although they aren't the same.

1          destaco - 1.jpg
Using only the front two holes

1          destaco - 2.jpg
Using all screw holes with riser blocks.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mike said it, I keep some hardwood blocks when clamping smaller pieces to spread the load. According to Titebond- they state you do not need larger clamping pressure , just even pressure. If I remember correctly, they state 200-400 is more than enough for gluing. So a toggle that does 500lbs of force is plenty.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Or you can make your own clamping pad out of a t-nut in the clamping block, a few nuts and washers, and a stick of all thread.
The base the toggle clamps are screwed to needs to be fairly stiff.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used those on several jigs. The one change I made was to switch the top nut for a thumbscrew on the ones where I find myself frequently changing the depth of the rubber pad. Otherwise, you'll be hunting for the right size wrench more than you'd like.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've used those on several jigs. The one change I made was to switch the top nut for a thumbscrew on the ones where I find myself frequently changing the depth of the rubber pad. Otherwise, you'll be hunting for the right size wrench more than you'd like.

I do this also when I think to do it. Great suggestion.I've got a whole box of those clamps so they all didn't get thumbscrews. They can be seen on one of my photos.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Mike said it, I keep some hardwood blocks when clamping smaller pieces to spread the load. According to Titebond- they state you do not need larger clamping pressure , just even pressure. If I remember correctly, they state 200-400 is more than enough for gluing. So a toggle that does 500lbs of force is plenty.
This jig will definitely need a bevy of small pieces.

These particular clamps produce 200# so they should be plenty.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors