Glass Shower Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed D

New User
Ed
Our house was built in the early 60's, and I am the 3rd owner. One of our bathrooms has a tub / shower, with those sliding glass shower doors. I would like to remove them, and put in a bowed shower curtain bar. Not in the budget to tear all this tile out and start over, which I want to do eventually, but these doors are a mess. Anyway, these door frames, if you will, appear to be held in place by these rivet looking things (3)on each end upright, with some sort of nylon or similar washer/spacer underneath between the rivet head and the aluminum upright. I hope I am being clear. Do I just cut these? what will the tile underneath look like? If just a hole, I can do something acceptable to cover them.

Anyone done this before? TIA for any advice, opinions, etc.

Ed

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I suspect you are looking at hammer-set drive pins. They are soft metal anchors with a hardened center pin. The metal expands when the center pin is driven in with a hammer. Many also include a nylon washer to help control corrosion from dissimilar metals. The pins would be hard to cut but the outer metal should be easy to cut with end cutters if you can get the tool in position. You could also take a punch and drive the center pin thru and then you can cut the soft metal with a old chisel

good luck

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
We had something similar in our very first home, former owner had removed a shower door and just caulked the holes. It looked terrible, so when one fell out, I filled them in with grout when making some repairs to other tiles. One day I came home and my wife had painted the grout holes with a teal colored nail polish that matched the tile real well. You could notice them if you looked right at them, but was better than the white of the caulk or grout.

Ed D

New User
Ed
Thanks Woody and Phil for your quick response! Phil, they are just as you said, but only about 1.5" long. I was able to get the end cutters around the nylon part, clamp down hard and pull them out. I only removed 2; I have to wait for the rod to arrive from Amazon before I go any farther. This is a great place!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS