Brand New Freud Dial-a-Width (SD 608) Dado Set

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I purchased this dado set several month back, but never needed it until today. I own a SawStop Cabinet Saw and unfortunately this particular set does not work on SawStop saws (arbor is too short). As I recall, I paid $240 for the set and would be willing to part with it for $150!

Last edited:

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I purchased one of these sets years ago and had the same problem. I went around and looked at various table saws from several manufacturers and none worked. I wound up calling Freud and they finally sent me a modification kit but the dial a width feature doesn’t work, it’s just a stacked set.
Lecil

Reactions: drw

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I've been using the SD608 on my Sawstop saw. For narrower dadoes I use the Sawstop washer and nut. For wider dadoes I leave off the washer and use a big flat washer in place of it. Works fine.
Yes I know Sawstop doesn't recommend it but never the less,it works fine for me. Just did 18 drawers with finger joints using it and no issues at all.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
For the record, and perhaps assist your effort to sell this dado set...
I use a Freud Dial-a-Width (SD 608) Dado Set and could not be more impressed. Clean edges and very flat bottoms. The ability to fine-tune without the hassle of shims functions very well.
HOWEVER... My background is marketing and sales and in my view, Freud made and makes a huge mistake with this product. Using "Dial-a-Width" in its name was a colossal blunder. I contend that most woodworkers associate this phrase with the dreaded dial-type wobble dado, which simply isn't the case. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of otherwise interested folks dismiss it.
In any case, this is a first-rate product!! Too bad that Saw Stop compatibility is an issue for the original purchaser.

mpeele

michael
User
I agree with Ed about the functionally of the SD 608. It's a shame to bought it and not be able to us it. That said I have a UniSaw which for standard blades has a arbor nut with a washer that is about 3" in diameter which mates with washer on arbor. The nut and washer is about 1" thick. They also have a nut without a washer for stacked dado sets which is about 1/2" thick
IMG_2529.JPG
. Unless Sawstop require a nut washer because of its blade stopping feature I don't think you need a washer. I used my SD 608 on a Delta contractors saw for years with its skimpy arbor nut. I may be wrong but I think the washer is only on the arbor nut to prevent distortions with thinner blades as the nut tightens when cutting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS