Frame and Panel Joinery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My HF utility trailer has a bed of PT plywood. It is holding up fine with no finish despite being left out in the weather. It is softwood plywood. With shallow V-grooves it would look something like boards. I use PT lumber whenever possible outside. I have to let it sit a month or so to dry out before painting it but it doesn't rot. I have a couple chairs and tables on the dock of PT wood. It needs repainted but is holding up fine.

My plastic dock box is only a year old so we'll see how it holds up.

We are also on Lake Murray. We have a nice lot close to town but that means a 50 year old house that needs work. Plenty of other projects prevented any thoughts of making the dock box. I like wooden things too.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What's the function of this "dock box" and what kind of wood do you want to use? Cypress would be good.

1. Dave's idea for a lid overhang will protect the end grain. Seal that end grain with epoxy.

2. Here's a different take on the panel construction with tenons. It's horizontal tongue and groove to shed water; tongues are up and grooves are down.

Dock_box.png

Like these cypress flower boxes and the tenons are haunched for added support.

P5070121.jpg

obxdiver

New User
Bart
Appreciate the reply, Jeff, but I've gone with Dave's design and Jim's suggestion of plywood panels. Parts are already rough cut.

The purpose of a dock box is to store boating and fishing supplies/tools you're not going to need while at sea, but want handy when cleaning, doing maintenance, etc. at the dock. When I say "at the dock", I'm talking a slip in a marina. It helps get clutter and weight off the boat. To modify an old military expression: Ounces make pounds, pounds burn fuel.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Bart, I'm envious that you get space for a dock box at your marina. I don't have that luxury near my slip. It would be nice to have the storage space for cleaning supplies, especially.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No problem. You're off and sailing with a lee wind.

You'll have to give us some WIP pics as you go along (we love pics). BTW, my SIL is a Rollinson from Frisco and a direct descendant of Charlie Fulcher, a long time keeper of the Hatteras lighthouse.

Appreciate the reply, Jeff, but I've gone with Dave's design and Jim's suggestion of plywood panels. Parts are already rough cut.

The purpose of a dock box is to store boating and fishing supplies/tools you're not going to need while at sea, but want handy when cleaning, doing maintenance, etc. at the dock. When I say "at the dock", I'm talking a slip in a marina. It helps get clutter and weight off the boat. To modify an old military expression: Ounces make pounds, pounds burn fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS