flashing shop-built windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
All,

The roof's on the new shop (finally), and I'm gearing up to build the windows and doors. But I'm not sure if I understand properly how to flash them so that they're properly integrated with the Tyvek.

For the windows, I had intended to build the frames and casings together--essentially, gluing the 1x4 exterior casing (HardieTrim) onto the frame (probably biscuiting it on, too), then inserting the whole thing into the rough opening and shimming, plumbing and leveling the frame the old-fashioned way, and then screwing through the frame into the trimmer studs (through the shims). In this arrangement, the integral casing would perform the same function as the nailing flange in a manufactured window.

However, I'm not sure how to flash it correctly. I think that if the Tyvek is already up (which it isn't yet), I'd have to cut through it, fold in the flaps (except perhaps for the top flap), and--I'm assuming--affix the flaps to the inside of the rough opening, then install the window over the Tyvek. But that seems like it'd leave gaps between the window frame and the Tyvek. I also have been told that I should add flex flashing along the bottom of the rough opening (and about 10" up the sides), forming a kind of sealed "rough sill" to prevent water from getting under the window frame. But it's not clear to me how that actually prevents water from getting in there, since there'd still be a gap between the frame and the bottom flashing. (Although the frame and casing are theoretically going to be sealed together by the glue, it's my understanding that you're not supposed to rely on adhesive for moisture prevention.) In a manufactured window, you'd flash over the flange. How would I handle this in a window that doesn't have a flange (except for the casing, which, obviously, can't be flashed over, since it's the "show surface")?

For reference, here's the plan that I've been looking at for the window construction (except modified because I'll build double-hung rather than casement windows):

http://www.epinions.com/content_4978548868

Any ideas? It this whole plan of building my own windows way too foolhardy? It seemed like it'd be a fun project in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors