Fixing a Varnish Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Many of you may have seen my earlier thread "Unique Countertop Commission" that described a beautiful solid Bubinga countertop I built for a client here in Hendersonville. After the installation was completed, I gave the top a final coat of Rockhard Tabletop Varnish and snapped some final pictures, like this one: You can see the nice glossy finish, but something more ominous shows if you look more closely, especially around where the overhead light is reflected. I came back five days later to check the finish and to caulk around the angle brackets and noticed numerous imperfections in the varnish -- often called "pimples" in the literatures -- I call them "Nits". The client was not pleased with this surface, nor was I -- and his wife said she would prefer a satin finish. Here is a close-up after I discovered what the problem really was and what caused it. The nits were not embedded bubbles as I first suspected; they were small solidified particles of varnish that got into the final coat from the varnish brush -- I had picked up one of my very best brushes for this final coat and it had not been cleaned properly -- a fine film of varnish remained on many bristles and they broke off during that application as the brush flexed and laid down in the application. Ugh! My fault and now I had to figure out how to remove them without damaging the finish and leaving scads of dust all over the clients now furnished new home!

I used 320 grit paper in my RO sander with a vacuum hooked to the exhaust port. The Shop Vac had a Drywall Filter Bag installed so nothing could pass through. It took about 2-1/2 hours of patient sanding (8 disks of 320 grit were used) got the "Nits" sanded down to the final finish layer, followed by re-sanding with 400 grit, 600 grit and then 800 grit paper. Here is the result: A beautiful, blemish-free surface!

Thank goodness they wanted a satin finish! I was prepared to rub out this surface back to a high gloss -- I had 1000, 1200, 1500 grit papers, plus 2F and 4F pumice, rottenstone and furniture wax waiting in the wings! Needless to say, I'll always check my varnish brush whenever I pick it up (I've since re-cleaned that contaminated $20 brush and combed out all of the remaining varnish it contained!)

Rob

dozer

Mike
I use brush cleaner which will break down any finish that is left in the brush. I use Oxanna brushes which are 80% ox hair brushes and the only time I throw a brush away is when I have worn the bristles to where they are to short to use.

By the way Rob great job on fixing the finish, I think it turned out great.

M

McRabbet

I'll need to get some mineral oil for the two good brushes I have -- one has lots of ox hair in it and it is a superb brush; I want to get lots of mileage out of them and I just plain blew it on this one!! Just happy I was able to sand and rub it out so well (I actually did lots of rubbing by hand with new terry cloth rags between each sanding to be sure I got all the residue up). And brush cleaner and a fine comb has cleaned the residue out of both brushes.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Glad it worked out for you Rob.

So, do most use brush cleaner to clean brushes? Cleaning brushes has always been somewhat of a battle for me. Wouldn't the mineral oil interfere with a finish?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Rob,

Great save on the counter top...the satin finish looks great.

For brush cleaning on good brushes I first brush out as much of the finish I can on an clean cedar shake (have a bunch left from a previous project) this gets the most of the varnish residue out as well as keeping the ends of the bristles flagged. I then use about three washes of of paint thinner and then a wash of lacquer thinner followed by a wash with dish washing liquid (Dawn works best)...rinse real well and then wrap in clean paper towel and hang. A lot of work but some of my brushes are over 20 years old and still flow out beautifully.

DavidF

New User
David
Great fix Rob. Did the Satin finish look flat and smooth or in certain lights could you see the fine scratches from the 800G. I have found that a finished rubbed to Satin is not like a Satin finish from the can because the additives in the finish control much better the way the light reflects off of the surface.

I only brush WB finish now, but still use a good brush and clean it with warm water afterwards, nice and easy.

M

McRabbet

Great fix Rob. Did the Satin finish look flat and smooth or in certain lights could you see the fine scratches from the 800G. I have found that a finished rubbed to Satin is not like a Satin finish from the can because the additives in the finish control much better the way the light reflects off of the surface.

I only brush WB finish now, but still use a good brush and clean it with warm water afterwards, nice and easy.
David,

800 Grit is pretty fine and you need to get very close to see any variation in surface texture. Because the top coat I sanded was the fifth coat (2 50:50 Varnish:Reducer coats plus 3 full strength coats), there is significant depth to the finish that still shows the grain beautifully. I could not see any fine scratches, only a very few shiny spots where my sanding did not get through the base of very small bubbles left in that layer. They were so hard to see I decided not to take the sanding any further and the client was pleased with the result. Rob

dozer

Mike
Glad it worked out for you Rob.

So, do most use brush cleaner to clean brushes? Cleaning brushes has always been somewhat of a battle for me. Wouldn't the mineral oil interfere with a finish?

Yes Travis, Most painters use brush cleaner because you can extend the life of a brush by about 10x as long. When I had my painting company I had some guys working for me that left a couple of my most expensive brushes sitting out with finish still on them for a week while we were off for Christmas. Needless to say the were hard as a rock so I soaked them in brush cleaner over night and clean and cleaned them the next morning they were good as new. I still have both of those brushes although one of them the bristles are getting to short to use but I figure that was about 11 years ago so I got my money's worth out of them.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Wonder story Rob. That is only service you can get from custom made. I love the satin finish. (I'm mostly not a high gloss fan, but it does have it's place)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great save, Rob. I much prefer a satin finish myself. :)

Thank you for sharing the story. I learned something. :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS