First Project idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

vin

New User
vinnie
Like I put out in my earlier post I am relativley new to woodworking, and am trying to get an idea on what to do for my first project. I am looking for something that is a confidence builder, but will also help me build my basic skills. Any ideas would be appreciated. As I can tell from going through this forum you guys are very picture happy :gar-Bi, so I will be sure to post pics of my progress as soon as I figure out what to build.

Thanks

Vin

vin

New User
vinnie
Not to much......I have a table saw, miter/chop saw,a dado set for my table saw, some hand saws and clamps. And I guess other "basic" homeowner tools. I am always willing to take suggestions that would result in the purchase of new tools. As far as the project I would like to build something that I can use in the shop .

\\vin

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I got a free plan from Lowes some months ago. It was a portable step/bench. with a shelf under the step/bench seat. The handles were holes cut into the top and ends. It was made out of 3/4" plywood, and maybe some scraps for the sides of the shelf. I made two of these (I think they are 16"-20" high), and they also work as impromptu table legs or saw horses. I may have that plan still around.

Other ideas are a plywood rack, a wood storage rack, or a tool tote.

(Be warned, as WGD progresses, you will throw away less and less wood and magazines/plans)

striker

New User
Stephen
Vin,

I agree with the shop ideas....storage, racks, saw horse, workbench. etc. Here its not a mistake just a design modification.

You mite surf the galleries here for inspiration. New Yankee Workshop has shop ideas for the beginner to advanced in addition to the magazines and sites already mentioned.

Good Luck!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Shop projects are always good and they are great starter pieces since they will still function even if they aren't the prettiest! I started with several storage cabinets. Another suggestion is a basic bookcase. You have all the tools needed to make one and they also come in handy.

Popular Woodworking features an article called "I can do that" for basic skills projects.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well obviously the first project is to go out and buy more tools!

But seriously, I agree with everyone on building some sort of cabinet. You can use plywood so you don't need to worry about jointing/ planing wood. The dado blade can be used to make the dado's for the shelves and the rabbets to join everything together. Drawers might be too much for a first project, but a simple door will keep the dust out too.

Oh, and it helps if you assume your first cabinet won't be square, the shelves are uneven and there is an ugly knot in the most conspicuous place. That assures you'll be happy with the result! Don't Ask Me How I Know This (DAMHIKT).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am always willing to take suggestions that would result in the purchase of new tools. As far as the project I would like to build something that I can use in the shop .

\\vin

Woodturning.....that will result in a lot of new tool purchases :gar-La;:gar-La; I find bowls handy for holding all kinds of things in the shop :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
A shop project is a good place to start, and as Bas and Ed pointed out the key is to approach with the proper attitude :gar-Bi I would agree that a cabinet is an excellent skill builder which needs little in the way of specialized tooling/machinery :wsmile:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
With what you have I would suggest some clamp racks. Simple supports to hold your clamps on the wall. They're useful, not too complicated and will boost your confidence like you asked for.

Doug

cskipper

Cathy
Woodturning.....that will result in a lot of new tool purchases :gar-La;:gar-La; I find bowls handy for holding all kinds of things in the shop :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Dave, I do not think he needs to know anything about the dark side yet. Give the fellow some time to get started in wwing in general before trying to bring him over.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Welcome to the FAMILY Vin! As I was reading through the post I was thinking.Why not build a router table and low and behold Fred posted it. Shoot to start with it don't even have to have a door. 3 sides a top and a bottom and your done. But watch out for DaveO he will have you turning:rotflm:.Man I'm chompin at the bit to get me a lathe:gar-Cr.But start out slow.We don't want you to get turned off before you get turned on:gar-La;.Sorry about that Dave I couldn't resist:notworthy: you DA'MAN!

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Cabinets, storage and clamp holders are great suggestions. I'd like to add a knock down platform and jigs, jigs, jigs. When I started my husband complained that I made more jigs than projects (and I did) :wsmile:.

I can't wait to make the second edition of my knockdown platform. Right now I have two sawhorses with 2 x4s laying across them to hold a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. My next version will have folding legs (thanks to Harbor Freight) and a 2 x 4 gridwork so that there will be plenty of places to use to clamp. With the folding legs, you can collapse it when you don't need it. FWW has a great plan for it. They also have a great article about some circular saw guides that I wish I made years ago.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS