Finishing Sycamore

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I was given some QS sycamore and have started to work with it some. The QS has an interesting grain pattern I did not care for at first but after working with it some I have warmed to it. I wanted to start with a small project since I have never worked with it.. My wife wanted a candle holder so I made one. I glued a 3/8" piece of cherry in the middle and made cherry feet. After testing some finishes I did not like the look of any of them. Thinking of Odies or Robio but wanted to see if anyone has experience they could pass on. I have occasionally seen some projects that ended up a yellow color I did not care for. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I was given some QS sycamore and have started to work with it some. The QS has an interesting grain pattern I did not care for at first but after working with it some I have warmed to it. I wanted to start with a small project since I have never worked with it.. My wife wanted a candle holder so I made one. I glued a 3/8" piece of cherry in the middle and made cherry feet. After testing some finishes I did not like the look of any of them. Thinking of Odies or Robio but wanted to see if anyone has experience they could pass on. I have occasionally seen some projects that ended up a yellow color I did not care for. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I made a couple of keepsake boxes with QS Sycamore panels for the tops. I sanded to 400 grit, raised the grain with a spritz of water, sanded with w/600grit, and then used Odies Dark oil. It came out great with a really warm color tone. I’ll look for some pics and post.

Here are some pictures of a small keepsake box with a QS Sycamore top bevel edge panel.
Sycamore 1.JPGSycamore 2.JPGSycamore 3.JPGSycamore 4.JPG

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS