finish on a butcher block question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
i picked up a 12 ft x 25in and a 3ft x 25in boos blank butcher block today.

from a trucking surplus store today for $400 out the door.

I need to do some touch up repair on the finish on the bigger one and do a complete finish on the smaller piece.

the bigger piece has a small place that you can see the bare wood. 1/4 x 1/2 on the edge
What do i use to do the touch up on the bigger piece?
what do i do to do the finish on the smaller one?

also does anyone know where i can a couple pieces of hard maple from?
need a 12 ft and a 10 ft 1/2-3/4 thick and 2 in wide to use as a backslash since my walls are not straight..

toolman

New User
Chad

Hand plane and sand. Finish with a little Beeswax to Mineral Oil.

Hand plane and sand. Finish with a little Beeswax to Mineral Oil.

need a 12 ft and a 10 ft 1/2-3/4 thick and 2 in wide to use as a backslash since my walls are not straight..

Steve Wall Lumber In Mayodan NC

cpw

New User
Charles
the bigger piece has a small place that you can see the bare wood. 1/4 x 1/2 on the edge

I agree with Toolman about exposing the wood, although I'm not sure that planing would be necessary if the wood is not damaged. Without knowing exactly what the original finish is and how old it is, your best bet at a nice finish is to start with bare wood. Plus, if you're adding a backsplash of fresh wood you'd have a lot of trouble getting a match between the old and new finishes, and they' age differently.

As far as finish material goes, IF you are going to be doing a lot of food prep and cutting right on the counter top, I'd use a wiping varnish like "salad bowl finish". The best price I found on a quick search was $12.99/Qt. from Rockler. BUT this will require some periodic maintenance (reapplication), but not nearly as much as the wax/mineral oil finish.

If you are going to use the countertop the way MOST people do (general prep, simple food contact, NOT cutting directly on the top), then I'd use an oil based polyurethane varnish. Once it's completely cured it should be completely food safe and extremely durable.

Any hardwood dealer should be about to fill that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS