Finally, Something Sharp(er)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, a couple of weeks ago Bernhard posted a thread regarding the Scheppach Tiger 2000 (Tormek-clone) on sale for one heck of a price at Amazon. Without any self control, I bought one immediately :lol:

At the time I was on the road, but I'm back now. Yesterday while working on another project, I decided I needed to sharpen the chisel ... so I broke out the Tiger 2000.

Without any practice, or formal know-how, I was able to put a pretty nice edge on my chisel! Though I need to fine-tune my technique (I was grinding it at a little angle causing the cut to be something other than 90 degrees from the shaft) ... this is BY FAR the sharpest my chisels have EVER been! :icon_thum

Thanks for encouraging WoodGuy Disease, Bruce!
:eek:ccasion1

nelsone

New User
Ed
OK, umm, if you say so...where's thr proof???????
You know the rules Jeremy...
NO PICS, DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!!!
:eusa_whis:eusa_whis:eusa_whis
:lol:

Congratulations on the new
[strike]toy[/strike] tool!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I know, I know! :BangHead:

I didn't take a picture of the chisel, but here's the system in my shop!

P1010086.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Awesome Jeremy!! Nice gloat. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

(pssst...hey, everyone...see Jeremy if you need your chisels sharpened. :lol: :lol:)

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Well, a couple of weeks ago Bruce (junquecol) posted a thread regarding the Scheppach Tiger 2000 (Tormek-clone) on sale for one heck of a price at Amazon. Without any self control, I bought one immediately :lol:

At the time I was on the road, but I'm back now. Yesterday while working on another project, I decided I needed to sharpen the chisel ... so I broke out the Tiger 2000.

Without any practice, or formal know-how, I was able to put a pretty nice edge on my chisel! Though I need to fine-tune my technique (I was grinding it at a little angle causing the cut to be something other than 90 degrees from the shaft) ... this is BY FAR the sharpest my chisels have EVER been! :icon_thum

Thanks for encouraging WoodGuy Disease, Bruce!
:eek:ccasion1
Credit where credit is due, sorry I didn't post about THIS item. So don't tell someone to blame me for this one. You are on your own. Nice looking tool though. Do I need to ship my chisels/ plane irons to you for test purposes? Don't worry, as WGD is highly contagious, with no known cure, other than death. Then others with WGD are infected at dispersal sale. As one of my friends told his wife after finishing house, "These tools will be sold over my dead body!" To which she replied " That would be interesting- a viewing and a tool sale at the same time!":eusa_clap

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I stand corrected ... and after looking back I found out it was Bernhard

You guys are killing
[STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] my wallet!

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Ha ha I picked up one too about 3 months ago. Does a great job...and all of the Tormek accessories fit it with the exception of the jointer/planer knife jig.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice! The most likely reason your chisel wasn't square was you did not have the thumb screws equally torqued. Easy to get them one sided. DAMHIKT

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for that bit of advice ... I'll give it another try.

Is there any secret to know of the thumbscrews are right on before grinding?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If it is like the Tormek (which I think it is) the key is to just get the open side thumbscrew snug and where they mutually look even when looking across them. IMO, it is far more common to tighten the open end thumb screw too much thus getting the chisel somewhat ****-eyed in the jig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS