Fibonacci Gauge?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Saw this thing in an email from Highland Woodworking today. It's one of the Woodpeckers OneTime tools. This one is for laying out Golden Rule based measurements. Not sure what I think about it other than, as always, I'm at least tempted by another OneTime Tool.

That said, it should make for a lively discussion here. ;)

zapdafish

New User
Steve
i think if you sketch or plan stuff out you naturally follow this ratio and tweak things till they "feel" right. As they say its built into nature and so are you, lol. I usually semi design on graph paper so don't really need exact measurements and things work out.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Or simply use your own hand span or any other body part you need to use.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, you are not alone, I am usually tempted by the one-time-tools and on occasion I take the plunge. I have found Woodpecker's products to be well built and well designed as well as expensive. That said, while I think this particular tool is pretty cool, I don't think I would use it very frequently (but, truth be know, I have several tools that fit into that category).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I agree with DRW....... It's a Cool Tool, but how much will you really use it ? To me, I would think making one from scratch would be awesome, could inlay some brass on Katalox, or Cocobolo & add a steel tip. It is really just precision measuring and drilling.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
For what it's worth I have any number of tools that rarely get used. Mostly they are specialty tools, e.g. a basin wrench for reaching up to the nuts holding a kitchen faucet in place. I may have used it twice in the last 40 years and I was glad I have it each time. There are other tools that rarely get used but life is so much easier for having them in my inventory.

So, for me frequency of use isn't much of a consideration in deciding whether or not to buy a given tool as long as I know I'll at least occasionally use it.

Now, that said I didn't intend to imply I'm arguing for buying this particular tool.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I made one many years ago using the Steve Ramsey video that Luke posted above. It was really simple and kind of interesting at the time and I was just beginning woodworking. I've never used it for anything though. I subsequently learned to use SketchUp and sizing components using the ratio (1.6:1) without the Fibonnaci gauge is easy. I may have used that ratio to make a few small boxes.

Mine is also 24" like the Woodpecker model for $100.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.53.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.53.58 AM.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS