End grain glue up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Has anyone glued anything up like this

and turned it? Earl, I know that you do the segmented turns but I don't know if it would be the same - I have noticed that after I turn it and finish sanding it everything is smooth - but after I have put the BLO and clear on it I notice that the "segments" at the glue up is not smooth any longer - will the BLO and clear make the end grain pop out?

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Has anyone glued anything up like this

and turned it? Earl, I know that you do the segmented turns but I don't know if it would be the same - I have noticed that after I turn it and finish sanding it everything is smooth - but after I have put the BLO and clear on it I notice that the "segments" at the glue up is not smooth any longer - will the BLO and clear make the end grain pop out?

I have never done any like that
Some folks when they do segment turnings use a 1 piece bottom, and for that reason I always use a segmented bottom.
even with segments sometimes after a turning is finished and set for a couple of weeks or more I can feel the joints, even though I cant see any movement.
But hey its real wood and it will move some :dontknow:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Earl - I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or it was something that I was doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS