Electrolysis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I recently posted about a workbench I have inherited. I Think someone questioned what the key shape hole was for. Well there is an iron popup bench dog for planing boards. It was extremely rusted and it wouldn't move without a good whack from a mallet. So I decided to try electrolysis! Had everything set up after reviewing some of the other posts., but I found out my battery charger is one of the newer ones and wouldn't work. I got to thinking what I might be able to use and came up with a charger for a laptop. It indicated about a 5amp output. It worked, but I'm not sure I'll continue using it or not. Anyway, here's some pics! (sorry, I forgot to get a "before" pic)

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_01582.JPG

IMG_01591.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like it worked well. That might be a good idea for using old chargers like that.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
That looks like it is something I could use. How about some more details about the process. What is in the liquid, what kind of metal is the electrode, and which one gets connected to the positive electrode. I assume you are using DC current.
Mtnman

nelsone

New User
Ed
That looks like it is something I could use. How about some more details about the process. What is in the liquid, what kind of metal is the electrode, and which one gets connected to the positive electrode. I assume you are using DC current.
Mtnman

If you Google for Electrolysis, you will find a ton of information.

The solution is water and 1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon. (Arm&Hammer Washing Soda is available in the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store. NOT backing soda.)

The electrodes on my setup are a couple pieces of flat steel bar and a coat hanger. I used a coat hanger to hold the piece I was cleaning. Connect the negative lead to the part (coat hanger) and the positive to the steel bars. The steel bars (positive anodes) are connected in series. I have 2 anodes, but you can add more.

Remember that electricity flows from negative to positive and this is the way you want the rust to go (away from the part).

When you connect the power supply (battery charger or other source) you should see the solution start to bubble. If it doesn't check your connections and power supply.

I believe the bubbles that form are hydrogen, so make sure to do this in a well ventilated area. I did it outside.

Clear as mud? It's really pretty easy to set up and I've seen where people have set up tanks large enough to do table saw tops! The process takes several hours. The piece I did "cooked" for about 3 hours and I could have probably let it go longer, but it was getting late. I've also seen where people have used this method to clean old hand saws and such, because it won't damage the mfg's etch.

Oh, yes it is DC current and most folks are running 5~10 amps. Less will work, but it'll take longer.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This looks like something I'll try on an old seized up axle & cast iron wheel I have on a 'mule stick' if anyone knows what that is.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Novel idea subbing the laptop charger . . . I like it. Most of us have a variety of them lying about :eusa_clap

Of course, you gave me excuse to post my Reddy Kilowatt Electrolysis (patent pending) pix again :lol:

electrolysis.jpg

The four lawn mower blades add a lot of anode surface area.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS