E-mail help, how to manage multiple Accounts in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Most modern POP3 email clients will handle multiple email accounts. In the examples below I will take you through the adding of an extra account in to MS Outlook.

With Outlook open, click on Tools in the upper menu bar. In that drop down menu, select "E-mail Account" and the following dialog box will appear.

seq02.gif

Select the Add a new "e-mail account" radio button and click "Next"

seq03.gif

Now select POP3 and click "Next"

seq05.gif

Now we are at the heart of the matter. Almost all of the information needed above will have been given to you by your email address supplier. A few fields, though, deserve some extra comment.

Your Name:
This is the name you want associated with your email account. such as Steve Coles in my case, or you can leave it blank, or put some sort of title This and the full email adddress will be used to a create a From: line in the email you send. In the above example that name would be
"Stephen Coles[test@some_domain.net]"

User Name:
This is one of the most troublesome fields. Mostly because everyone is confused by the phrase "user name" in this case, and almost every email server has a slightly different requirement. By default, Outlooks puts the first part the email address up to the @ sign in the block. In this case test. For email servers that only service one domain, that used to be the case. Today, most servers handle multiple domains and need a username that is more unique. So the obvious choice is the full email address, which has to be unique. That has become the most common practice. You email provider should supply you with a username. If they didn't state what it is explicitly, then it probably is one of the two conventions, I just noted.

Now, hit "Test Account settings" and outlook will run a test with a pop up status window. If everything was OK, then you are to move on. If not, you have a problem most likely with the settings above. You can try to troubleshoot the problem from the test results. This post is already too long, so I will not attempt to put a troubleshooting guide in it

Assuming, the test went well you are almost there.You could click Next and skip the next step, but I recommend your don't. So click "More Settings"

seq06.gif

By default, Outlook puts the POP3 server name here. Frankly, in many cases this is almost useless or at least misleading. What is in this box, will end up being your visual identifier for this account and you want it to be very clear. I personally try to always use the full email address here. Now click "OK" and you will be taken back to the previous screen. Click "Next"

seq07.gif

Ok you are done and ready to send and receive with your new email address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS