Dust Collector Gate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I finally installed a dust collection system, using a Woodtex dustcollector that I had laying around :lol: .
I ran 4" thin wall SD pvc.
My question is this: I have seen people with a gate to stop the the air flow, thus increasing to another section. Where or how to build one of these gates?????

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Building a Dust Collection Blast Gate

have not built one but first link i came across on building one.Doesn't have the close off to it. but you should be able to add one to it.

I built over a dozen of this type in 6" and 4". The only thing I did differently is I used half of a connector on one side, and a section of pipe on the other side so essentially each gate has a male and female side and I can put them anywhere (I don't glue any of my pipe together). I made the slides out of two pieces of laminate glued together- they slide very easily.

sapwood

New User
Roger
MAC,

McRabbet (Rob) has photos in his gallery on dust collection and gates. You might want to take a peek here.

HTH,
Roger

M

McRabbet

Darn you Roger -- I just saw this post and you beat me to my own album! John -- there is a pretty good set of photos there to follow how I made mine -- unlike Alan, I cut a thin-wall PVC coupling (for the S&D pipe) in half so mine fit to any piece of pipe with female connections on both sides. I used 1/4" Baltic Birch for the slides and cut them out of the flat piece sandwiched between pairs of 3/4" birch plywood blocks. If you have any questions, don;t hesitate to PM me.

Rob

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Thanks all for the support and references.
I did allot of reading about airflows, CFM, speeds, friction, static, etc.
And I am glad I did.
My orginal design was flawed in that I had reduced the trunk line way to early in the run to my miter saw.
I went back and ran 4" all the way to the saw then necked down to 1/1/4 which fits the connection nicley. What a big difference.

The gate articles help allot I have built 2 so far.
I got this woodtex 1hp Dc for $25.00 a year ago and never hooked it up :oops: . It runs like a champ.
And with the two gates, saw dust beware, YEHAW.
Now let me find those pics!!

Attachments

• DC 1a.JPG
    DC 1a.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 150
  • DC2 a.JPG
    DC2 a.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 158

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The current wisdom is to keep the piping as big as possible, as long as possible. I have 6" mains and run 6" all the way to the big dust producers- tablesaw, Sliding Compound Miter Saw, and dual drum sander (jointer and planer mainly produce chips). As the number of tools hooked to the DC increases and/or your shop expands (or you see what is actually escaping from the dust bag) I think you will find that DC is underpowered. Put a 3 - 5 Hp blower with 14" impeller, cyclone separator (NOT trashcan lid type), cartridge filter, and 6" piping in your long range budget. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS