Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
im looking for reasonably priced duct for my shop. I want to use metal pipe vs. PVC. I am currently talking to KB Duct but i think they will be way out of my price range. The saleman basically told me that they are high priced and we should not waste either of our time. So i wanted to see what experiences you all have had and if you can give some names i could contact.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
NB Handy in Greensboro has one of the largest HVAC warehouses in the state. The have a retail counter and will take you back and let you see what they have and let you compare different options. Prices are consistantly less than Lowe's and HD and they have multiple choices of all the pipe, fittings and conectors you would need.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For my info only, why do you want metal instead of PVC. I find PVC to be more flexable. The joints don't have to be solvent welded ( glued). This makes it easy to rearrange system when a new machine is added. Almost totally leakproof.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
For me, I ordered all of my major fittings from Oneida (wyes, elbows, etc). I can't say they were the cheapest, but they were as cheap as I knew of at the time. I bought all of my pipe and reducers at the BORG. Although the gauge is different, I have had zero problems with the pipe collapsing.

FWIW, the 4" aluminum blast gates by shop fox are as cheap as you will find anywhere. For larger sizes, your guess is as good as mine.

You have my prayers going the metal route. Please do a few things I did not do.

WEAR GLOVES AT ALL TIMES

Use a strait line laser (if you have one) to run your pipe straight.

Get a good set of shears and a good set of crimpers (you will have to recrimp some of the fittings as they do not have enough "crimp" on them.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Travis, you forgot to mention this one:

have plenty of bandaids on hand, and maybe some larger bandages :saw:

M

McRabbet

Sammy, I suspect that you needed to let folks know the size of your system as part of the equation -- your 3HP Grizzly Cyclone has an 8" diameter intake port and IIRC, you want to run a mainline trunk 40' or so down the centerline of your shop [Sammy's shop is 32 x 60, if I recall]. As you've already found, spiral metal "quick connect" ductwork is very expensive, but if you can work with 6" diameter, you'll find that 6" Sewer and drain PVC is lots less expensive. You can assemble joints without glue and a wide range of fittings are available, including wye's, sweep elbows and the like (including reducing versions). Check out McMaster-Carr for fittings (you may find some at Lowe's in the 6" size, too) and suppliers like Ferguson's or Hajoca will carry the 6" light green bell-end pipe in 10' lengths (~$2.50 ft +/-). 4" drops -- use S&D from Lowe's for about $1/ft. I've made my own blast gates -- we've got some info in the Links Library.

Just my $.02 -- Hope this helps -- Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yes, I forgot the band aids. I got one bad cut doing the piping.

If you are running 8", I got the pipe at the Borg for it as well. The 90's at the BORG are a royal PITA being such thin metal and don't have enough radius. I kept my pipe sizes primarily to 8 and 6 inches to minimize transitions and not have to have so many different sizes of pipe.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I used spiral metal duct from Penn State Industries and found them to be the least expensive overall. The Onedia duct wasn't too bad but the connector clamps got the price up over the top. I started the ducting comming through the wall with a three way wye with 6" main lines and did all the reducing at the drops. For the duct collector , I went with the ClearVue and could not be happier. 5 hp at less than $1,000.00 including the shipping and better preformance and specs than the rest of the field. My shop is DUSTLESS! I have emptied the 30 gal hopper about five times and still haven't gotten as much as a teaspoon of fine dust from the bottom filter cleanout. If any of you are ever in Myrtle Beach, stop by and have a look-see (probally be a cold beer close by).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
How is the dust collection on your bandsaw? Ohe hookup or two?

Reason I ask, is mine is less than what I would call satisfactory.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Travis
Dust pickup on bandsaw is good unless I an resawing heavy stock(8 to10 inches), I only have one dust port but am getting ready to add another to the top cabinet. Since I have sealed all seams with foam weather seal, it is actually quite good.
Dino

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I could probably be entertained by the chips flying throught the Clearview cyclone:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors