Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am in the middle of rearranging my shop and reworking my dust collection. I have had a bit of concern in how to do the dust collection for my CMS. I like SteveD's set up, but I hate to have to turn the Cyclone on and off as much as I use the CMS intermittently. Additionally, I really don't have a means to build the "basin" that Steve did.

What I am considering is to get one of those automatic power switches from sears that will turn on an accessory and just to buy a small shop vac and put it in the cabinet under the CMS. I can hook the vac straight to the CMS, and it will cut on and off whenever I use the saw. I figure my total cost for this will be about $70. Not cheap, but easier than having another leg of dust collector piping and it would be more consistent than me using the DC.

Anyone see any issues or concerns with doing it this way?

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Travis,
Is CMS a miter saw?

I use the setup that you are planning: Delay switch from sears and shopvac. I have the DeWalt sliding miter saw and my 20g shopvac doesn't suck. It is better than nothing, but I guess the CFM of the shovac are not enough. I am planing on using a small prtable dust collector (Jet) I picked up a while ago at Costco so see if things improve. Also, there was a short article in FWW awhile ago about that. That guy build a little funnel shaped box that apparently increased collection efficiency quite a bit.

Bernhard

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis,

I have the sears switch you are talking about and use it on my shop vac connected to my sander. It really works great for that application. No matter what, collection on a miter saw is marginal. You will need a really good shop vac to get reasonable performance but it will be better than not using collection at all. The more you can do to direct the dust and concentrate the air stream the better your results.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
For the DeWalt slider (that i have), it isn't worth a flip. For my DeWalt compound miter the dust bag does work, just fills up too quick.

M

McRabbet

Travis,

I recommend you go with a remote control switch like this one made by Shop Fox and available from Grizzly. This is the 220V model (though I think the pic is their 110V model - note receptacle). I have the 110V model connected to my 1HP PSI dust collector and it works great. I keep one controller on my TS fence and the other in my shop apron pocket -- I'd use Steve's collector style and if you've got just a single cutoff, don't bother turning the DC on; it'll catch the majority for the next time you do! My .02 -- HTH.

Rob

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
travis,
You could always use the blastgate activated switches from Pennstate, I am buying the micro switches, making my own blast gates and hooking up 6in main. I am also going to build a dust collection box for my miter saw. The only thing im going to do diff is im going to drill some holes in the shelf that my dewalt is mounted too to make it into a semi-down draft table as well. Here is a pic like the one im going to make, it slides on bars for when you are doing your compound and angle cuts. I have the plan from Wood Magazine if you need it, i can get a copy to you. Let me know and be blessed.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rickwalter.net/pictures/misc/040719_miter_dustcoll/images/DSC04402.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rickwalter.net/pictures/misc/040719_miter_dustcoll/pages/DSC04402.html&h=413&w=550&sz=25&tbnid=bFzAutl6nSrrlM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=130&hl=en&start=18&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmiter%2Bsaw%2Bdust%2Bcollection%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS