Drilling problem...or should I say redrilling problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
So tonight I decided to put together the mobile base my wife gave me for my birthday. It turned out pretty good, but how do you screw up drilling 8 holes in a piece of plywood?

P1010081.JPG

Well let me show you:

P1010083.JPG

If you look at the pic above you can see just how a hole can be screwed up. The hole is 3/8. I even center punched each hole so this wouldn't happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on filling the hole so I can redrill the hole in the correct spot?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Drilling problem...or should I saw redrilling problem

Glue a section of a 3/8" dowel in it, let set and redrill. This time larger than needed. I have found out the hard way that to drill holes in a material that will have to line up with holes in another it is better to bump up to the next larger size or two of bit...that gives you some wobble room and won't affect the strength of the piece.
Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike

Thanks Dave. I only wish I had a 3/8 dowel sitting around. I'll pick one up tomorrow at lunch. I thought about toothpicks, but boy it would take a lot to fill that hole. :lol: :lol: :lol:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster

I was going to say, tape off the back side and fill hole with epoxy, but the dowel rod would work faster.
I would also ensure to use a washer on the back side.
Glad to see that I am not the only one that these things happen to. LOL

How you doing brother? MAn its cold this morning.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

I keep a few wood golf tees in the junk drawer for this rare situation :lol: . Saw it flush after the glue dries.

alleng

New User
allen

bondo automotive filler works well too,and it sands easy.sets fast too.

MikeH

New User
Mike

I was going to say, tape off the back side and fill hole with epoxy, but the dowel rod would work faster.
I would also ensure to use a washer on the back side.
Glad to see that I am not the only one that these things happen to. LOL

How you doing brother? MAn its cold this morning.

I'm doing pretty well Mac apart from having a cold coming on. It's cold here too.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Mike for future reference you can make dowel rod on the router table with a roundover bit and dimensioned square stock. Rout, rotate 90 degrees, rout, rotate, etc...Clean up with sandpaper.

I made a slew of cutting boards for Christmas, 2005 with 3/4 or 1 inch walnut round legs on the corners. The cost of walnut dowel rod in that size made it worth the effort to make them myself.

Of course, a lathe would be nice (note to self: Tell LOML I NEED a lathe to turn dowel rod!!). :)

Chuck

MikeH

New User
Mike

Mike for future reference you can make dowel rod on the router table with a roundover bit and dimensioned square stock. Rout, rotate 90 degrees, rout, rotate, etc...Clean up with sandpaper.

I made a slew of cutting boards for Christmas, 2005 with 3/4 or 1 inch walnut round legs on the corners. The cost of walnut dowel rod in that size made it worth the effort to make them myself.

Of course, a lathe would be nice (note to self: Tell LOML I NEED a lathe to turn dowel rod!!). :)

Chuck

The light bulb just went off!!! I have a lathe!!! Duh!!! :slap: I'll turn a plug for the hole. Thanks Chuck!

sapwood

New User
Roger

Mike,
Since I have the same base I'll offer a couple of other suggestions.

1. Just drill/expand the hole where you need it. The plywood is sandwiched and bolted between the metal plates. I really don't think the slop will create any problem.

2. Bolt the other three sides together. Insert the ply into the 4th corner. Drill a new hole through the metal and ply at a spot an inch or so from the original. You may also need to countersink the top metal plate so the hex head screw/bolt will sit flush.

No. 2 is what I did to attach an additional rail to the frame. Two corners of my base have 3 holes and bolts instead of 2 :eusa_shhh And the holes will be perfectly aligned when you drill through frame and ply :)

Roger

T

toolferone

The way I drill that base was to pick the drill bit the size of the hole on the bottom of the corner, slip the corner on the wood wnd drill straight through, put the bolt in from the top and presto it is done. I felt it was easier then marking the hole.

MikeH

New User
Mike
The way I drill that base was to pick the drill bit the size of the hole on the bottom of the corner, slip the corner on the wood wnd drill straight through, put the bolt in from the top and presto it is done. I felt it was easier then marking the hole.

Won't I have problems with drilling a new hole with the other hole partially exposed? I would think that the bit would grab with the other hole there.

T

toolferone

Won't I have problems with drilling a new hole with the other hole partially exposed? I would think that the bit would grab with the other hole there.

Yes, you would have problems. I was refering to the next time you put one together.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
My suggestion would be to epoxy a dowel in the hole and redrill. To prevent future mishaps, use some clamps to hold the base in place on the piece, then use the holes in the base as a guide.
Jim in Mayberry

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I bet you marked the holes with a pencil, center punched, and then drilled with a hand drill and a twist drill bit; those can really wander in ply- they seek out the soft material. Next time use a drill press and/or a spur bit to drill. This recommendation is even more important if you use one of the techniques mentioned above to plug the holes- a twist drill bit will either wander and seek the original (plugged) hole or avoid it completely, causing another bad hole.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

that is the way I would do it, nearly got one of these mobile bases yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS