Door Magnet Kit Question

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Klingspor has these door magnet kits. There's one thing I don't understand. I do understand that the strike plate and the magnet cup are installed with screws, but how does the magnet attach to the magnet cup? Does it have to be glued? If so, what kind of glue?

ms90019.jpg

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mike, The cup is steel so the magnet stays in it due to the magnitism. I works quite well. There is very little clearance which makes it really hard to get the magnet back out if you need to.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
As Jim said, the magnet is attracted to the steel cup and furthermore actually improves the magnetic field. However, there is minimal clearance between the cup and magnet so once installed it is nearly impossible to remove the magnet and cup- the best way is to use a drill and an easy-out on the magnet.

For all but larger doors, you actually don't need the cup (or a kit.) As an alternative, you can drill a close tolerance hole and install the magnet with drop of super glue. On my upper shop cabinets with flush inset doors, I recessed a magnet in the top edge of the doors (in the end of the stile) and another magnet in the inside edge of the faceframe rail (see photo.) I probably could had used a steel screw instead of the second magnet. Most of the usual suspects sell the rare earth magnets (I believe they are also available at HF)

index.php

index.php

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Got it. My confusion is because the door I'm going to put one on is a sliding door meaning that the magnet could be pulled out of its cup with the door. I'll just need to put a drop of glue between the magnet and the cup to make sure the magnet is not pulled away.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, you can file a little notch in the cup so you can stick in a narrow screwdriver to pry out the magnet, if you need to remove it. I have used the magnet+cup for several cabinet doors and never had a problem with the magnets coming out.

Roy G

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
If you prevent the magnet from actually coming in contact with the strike, the magnet will be more strongly attracted to the cup. I don't think you'll need to glue the magnet in. You could use a steel flathead screw as the strike, make the countersink a little extra deep so you can adjust the depth of the screw. Once you have it set, glue a little piece of thin leather or felt over it. That will hide the screw and add a pad to soften the closing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS