Dining room table repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOML has a Pennsylvania House dining room table she bought about 10 years ago. Solid cherry, nice finish, and it was not cheap.

She bought some potpourri in envelopes and laid one of them on the table. Unbeknownst to her, you are not supposed to put this stuff on furniture, and it ate through the finish.

Looks to me like it melted the finish so I am suspecting it has something like acetone or some other petroleum based product in it. Turns out she had laid an envelope of this stuff for 6 months on a sideboard I had built and finished with oil based poly and it did nothing to it so that further leads me to believe the finish on the table is probably lacquer. I didn't see it until today but she says it was somewhat sticky when she was trying to get the paper chunks out of it. The stickiness is now gone.

I am thinking I will try to refinish it hopefully without stripping it to bare wood, but I want to do it right. My thoughts are to get the rest of the paper out, lightly sand the entire top with 400 grit, and spray nitro or precat lacquer on it. I have a very good HVLP system and the space in the shop to do it, but I am looking for suggestions, thoughts, warnings etc.

Should I tackle this or should I send it to a professional finisher?

If I do tackle it, any suggestions on how to get the remainder of the paper out?

In the affected area when you look at it from an angle, you can tell there is a "difference" in the finish like it has been sanded down. If I sand the entire top and spray it, will it even out?

What type of finish should I use? I don't want to use poly. I am thinking either the lacquers I mentioned above or maybe one of Target coatings finishes. Any thoughts there?

Do I need to put a seal coat of shellac on the top before spraying with the lacquer?

Again, any and all suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Alright Fred I get it :lol:, I had planned on praying, but any other advice?

I aint much on finnishing but I think I would sand the whole top. that way whatever finnish you choose will not have to match. less like you would notice the difference.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
May want to see if the finish dissolves with a bit of alcohol. If so it is shellac, not lacquer, and could give you more options.
Go

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Travis-------I suggest trying denatured alcohol on that blemished area. I know it will disolve shellac. If it is shellac, and you put the alcohol on it to soften it, the bits of paper should be easy to remove. While the are is softened and wet with alcohol, use 0000 steel wool to blend the finish of the surrounding area into the blemished area. I did that on an old walnut dresser once and could not believe how well it worked. Once the denatured alcohol evaporated the finish was hard again.

All that said, I am by no means a finishing expert!!!

Good luck with it.

Jerry

J

jeff...

Travis sounds like lots of fun - I assume it's not natural cherry but a cherry tinted lacquer finish if so It's easy to repair. Refinishing the whole top would be a time consuming endeavor. After you dig the paper out with a dab of mineral spirits, clean the area with DNA. Match your tone color with tinted lacquer spray, blend with 0000 steelwool, then rebuild up your clear lacquer finish. Spot spray with precat gloss and sand with 400 ~ 600 grit sanding block and spit (yes spit), keep building and spit sanding till level, adjust the sheen with dry steel wool. Repairing factory lacquer finishes ain't to bad.

If the "hole / pit" is deep into the finish you can do a quick build with heavy bonded sanding sealer but keep in mind it's not clear and very soft, you don't want to build it completely up with sanding sealer just enough to fill in the deep pits in the finish. Then tone and build your lacquer finish as mentioned above.

Remember your doing a "spot" repair be careful of over spray

Call me if you want to talk.

Pray the lady never used plege else you have a mess on your hands and may have to wax wash the entire top
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS