Didn't know I needed one

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, twice recently, it would be handy as the handle of a chisel was in the way, so, old block plane iron, a bit of walnut and pair of threaded inserts, I made my own version of a chisel plane.
I chose bevel up, flat, as it is to get into a corner to clean up glue or whatever. Taller than usual as that would work so far, but I can always cut it down or make a shorter handle.

Attachments

• 20240128_071508.jpg
    20240128_071508.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 108

Scott H

Scott
User
Can you show a picture of the bottom? I'm curious how you have the blade attached, you said there are threaded inserts but that makes me wonder how you got the screw heads flush with the blade back.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have a cranked-neck chisel for those tasks, but to be honest I've used it just a few times.

It's a Crown like this one.

1706485515716.png

I couldn't find a Crown for sale at the usual retailers, but WoodRiver, Narex, and LeeValley have their own models in a variety of sizes.

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The one I have uses embedded rare earth magnets instead of screws. The ledge behind the blade could serve as a stop as most of the force will be applied there.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Will have to try out some cobalt bits. Didn't know it was feasible to drill through ~60 HRC steel.
My experience with plane irons is that the front is tempered and the back part isn't so drilling would be easy.

I like the magnet idea. I've got lots of planer knives I could convert to such a chisel since those can't be drilled and countersunk.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS