Diamond stones deal that's tough to beat

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a good set for sharpening chisels and plane blades at a good price. Assuming you don't already have most of them. Free shipping adds to the deal.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
EZE LAP 8x3 stones are cheaper with free shipping on Amazon right now. While I cannot testify to the comparison, Paul Sellers says they are about equal.

zzdodge

New User
zz
The first diamond stone I got was a very fine (8000) one sided 3x8" plate from Grizzley. Love it. Probably 10000 grit now. Ha ha.

I have a set of DMT and a couple of EzeLap 8" stones. I don't like the DMT patterning. For that reason I somewhat prefer the EZE LAP.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The first diamond stone I got was a very fine (8000) one sided 3x8" plate from Grizzley. Love it. Probably 10000 grit now. Ha ha.

I have a set of DMT and a couple of EzeLap 8" stones. I don't like the DMT patterning. For that reason I somewhat prefer the EZE LAP.

The DMT Dia-Sharp stones do not have the pattern. They are continuous flat steel with the diamond grit on the top.

Go

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
Dagnabit! I just bought a set of diamond stones last week from a different supplier and paid a higher price. That's the story of my life - a day late and a dollar short.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Don't feel too bad.. I just got rid of all my Norton stuff. Wished I knew then what I know now. Live and learn. No more flattening stones for me. Finito.

A little touch up after an extra fine diamond stone and I am ready to work wood.

zzdodge

New User
zz
The DMT Dia-Sharp stones do not have the pattern. They are continuous flat steel with the diamond grit on the top.

Go

Thanks for the comment. I looked and I see that. I am pretty sure that that style was not available when I got mine which was about 28 or 29 years ago. For me, it doesn't matter because I have the big 8000 Grizzly stone. It too is patterned, but it is a steel plate, and there are no diamonds deposited in a pattern, which is subtle but does not catch like the plastic holes in the DMT can. I looked at the Grizzly website, and cannot find the plate which I got from them in their catalog.

Oh well, eventually we get old and our tools get old, and it will take another 100 years until our tools might get appreciated again, perhaps as something primitive.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
For those of you that have a WorkSharp 3000, here is a great option to add for sharpening your plane irons and chisels. Smile.Amazon.com carries 6-inch Electroplated Diamond Lap Wheels made by Kent Supplies in 12 different grit levels that will mount on the WS glass disks easily using 3-M Spray Adhesive. At $12.40 each, they are a bargain and with a Prime account, shipping is free. I purchased six this winter and mounted them on the glass wheels and they work very well. Here is the link to get them. They are thick enough that you need to re-level the Wide Blade Attachment on a Worksharp for wide blades, but that is easily done. I demoed them at our last Western NC Woodworkers Association meeting and they produced very good results on a battered and banged up 1" chisel in less than 20 minutes. I purchased 150, 240, 500, 800, 1500 and 3000 grit plates and will probably get the 320 and 1200 grit sizes. IMHO, a good investment for sharpening.

619cS-tt3nL.jpg

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
For those of you that have a WorkSharp 3000, here is a great option to add for sharpening your plane irons and chisels. Smile.Amazon.com carries 6-inch Electroplated Diamond Lap Wheels made by Kent Supplies in 12 different grit levels that will mount on the WS glass disks easily using 3-M Spray Adhesive. At $12.40 each, they are a bargain

I am curious how this benefits the WS3000 user? Longer life of the sharpening media?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Chris,

Only time will tell if these will outlast the conventional abrasives provided by Worksharp. My initial uses didn't show any wear marks at all on the lap plates, so I am optimistic that they will provide a very good return on my investment. The coarsest grit removed material very quickly and there was essentially no heat rise in the blade at modest pressure (something I learned long ago with WS abrasives).

Rob

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
22 4 and 5 star reviews -

I was looking for something to use in my Atlas hone / grinder (for rough flattening plane blade backs...)

(not mine below - too lazy to run out and take a picture...)

9527-B.jpg

This just might be the ticket! (Thanks Dan!)

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm curious what makes the DMT product 10x better than the disks that were linked earlier in this thread?

The deal mentioned by the op gives you four different grits of the DMT Dia-sharp stones for $50 each.
The DMT Duo sharp (8") stones give you two grits each for around $70, or $35 per grit.
At about $13 each for the diamond electroplated disks the price difference is about 3-4 times for the DMT stones.

I prefer the flat stones to using my Worksharp. For me they are more convenient and easier to use.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The deal mentioned by the op gives you four different grits of the DMT Dia-sharp stones for $50 each.
The DMT Duo sharp (8") stones give you two grits each for around $70, or $35 per grit.
At about $13 each for the diamond electroplated disks the price difference is about 3-4 times for the DMT stones.

I prefer the flat stones to using my Worksharp. For me they are more convenient and easier to use.

???? Following that link, the price for first product was $160, which is what I based my question on. I see that the next product (an 8" stone) is listed as $114.77. And I didn't realize they were two-sided, so you are correct that my estimate was off - they are only 4-5x as expensive as the disks - considerably less than the 10x I initially said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS