Dewalt Tstak boxes - with added review

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Does anyone have experience with the Dewalt Tstak boxes / system? I am thinking of buying a couple to store and transport some of my 20V dewalt cordless tools that I bought individually, or that came with tote bags instead of hard cases.

Any feedback on their quality would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Deep box for the 6.5" circular saw
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-TSTAK-44-lb-0-Drawer-Deep-Box-with-Flat-Top-DWST17806/204404470

Shallow box for screws, or drill / driver
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-T...at-Top-Stackable-Tool-Box-DWST17807/204404619

Foam to make a dedicated fit for specific tool or box usage:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-TSTAK-12-in-Foam-Insert-DWST88801/205413375

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Re: Dewalt Tstak boxes

Don't have and haven't seen it Adam, but I'm sure you'll make a bunch of us jealous!:tool:

nn4jw

New User
Jim

I have the similar Ridgid stackable tool boxes / organizers. They're ok, but when stacked it seems that no matter what I'm looking for it's never in the top box. I'd think the DeWalt (like all stackable systems) would have that same problem.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member

If they're build anything like the boxes the tools come in then they'll be pretty sturdy.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member

I ordered a deep one and two of the shallow plain black boxes as a package for $64. My main motivation is to have a storage box for my 20V circular saw. I don't like having it loose in the back of the truck or stuck in a bucket when I need to take it to work day at church or to work on pit carts and props for the marching band. I'm thinking one of the shallow boxes will work good for 1 pound boxes of drywall / construction screws, and one will probably wind up with two cordless drills. I've bought a lot of my 20V stuff as bare tools, and I miss the hard black fitted boxes my other dewalt stuff has. I don't really plan to use the stacking feature for storage, and I rarely work in an area where I have to haul tools a long way, like into an office building or plant, so I didn't go for the cart that is available for the system.

I had a guy come in to the lab at work to service a piece of Swiss equipment. He had a bunch of Festool systainers and parts boxes for his tools, spare parts, and such. I was giving him a hard time about how much he charged me to pay for the Festool stuff, and started showing him links to the Dewalt Tstak system. He liked the dewalt cart better because the handle folded down, and could have gotten a duplicate system for $200 or so instead of the $600 or $700 he said he spent on the Festool system.

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

I have the shallow box, and use it for my Porter Cable drill and impact driver. I also carry 3-4 smaller boxes of driver bits, drill bits, tape measure, and speed square. If I remove a couple of the bit boxes, I can also fit the charger inside the box, with batteries attached to both devices.

It is a fast grab and carry, with handles on the top and front. I also got mine at DH for the same price almost 2 years ago. The clasps are sturdy and do well for keeping the top securely latched.

jerrye

New User
Jerry

Something to think about...

I have standard tool boxes to hold my Ryobi 18v collection. One has all of my cutting tools (circ, recip, oscillating, jig saws) in it, and another has drills/drivers (1/2", right angle, impact driver, impact wrench) in it. Still another smaller box holds fasteners. Very little invested in them all. A friend commented that I was far less likely to have my tools stolen, as hardly anyone would target a standard box, while the branded boxes are usually hot targets for thieves.

MTCW, YMMV

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member

I already look like a rolling Dewalt demo truck when I go to work day. A couple more boxes won't hurt, but you make a good point.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member

I purchased this set of DeWalt Tough System boxes during a sale last Christmas: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...Bonus-Storage-Units-DWST08250203130/300702772 which DeWalt markets as being more "rugged" than the TSTAK line. I bought the Tough System boxes over the TSTAK boxes only because I thought the design of the rolling cart for the TS boxes was better than the one for the TSTAK boxes. I use the boxes to store certain tools that I carry to another property each weekend so the boxes don't see daily use or anything close to the abuse DeWalt demonstrates on their website. The boxes are handy in the sense that I don't have to spend time hunting down tools each weekend or trying to remember to grab a certain tool....all of the tools that I might need at the other property are kept in the boxes so I just grab the boxes and go. I keep all of my cordless tools (circular saw, jig saw, recip saw, drill, impact driver, grinder, two smaller drivers, batteries and charger) in the bottom box (the one with wheels and the handle) since my cordless tools are collectively, the heaviest tools I have, it is the largest box and all of my cordless tools (just) fit inside of it. Even when fully loaded, I think the bottom box doesn't weigh even 50 pounds (my petite 15y old daughter can load/unload it from the bed of the truck) so you can imagine my surprise when my daughter was unloading that box from the truck and one of the side handles snapped. The 'pins' of the handle didn't break but the box itself broke right around where the handle connected to the box. Fortunately, I was able to return the box and exchange it for another one (lifetime warranty on the boxes) but in looking online, it seems that I am not the only person who has had this issue. Now I don't use the side handles to load/unload the box but hook my fingers under a ridge in the box instead which defeats the purpose of the box even having handles.

Other than this issue, I don't have any complaints about the boxes. It is much easier to stack the boxes and wheel them all to where I need them than to make multiple trips. Like Jim said, the tool you need always seems to be in the box at the bottom of the stack but that beats it being left in the back of the truck or worse, at home. Like Jerry, I do think the big DeWalt logo on the boxes likely makes them more attractive to thieves so I make a point to move them inside the truck if I stop at a restaurant. I do know that the TS boxes and the TSTAK boxes are not interchangeable (I tried).

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member

I mentioned needing a box for my 20V circular saw... here's the rest of the story...

I took all my toys, er tools, to marching band practice on a Thursday night to work on the carts they use to haul the percussion instruments onto the sideline for the half time show. One of the other guys had used my circular saw to cut a piece of plywood and set it down in the bed of his truck. In the mean time, I have torn up a finger pretty significantly being stupid with a forstner bit, left for first aid, and returned. By the time we finished loading up at 9:30, it was dark, I was tired and frustrated, and I was not paying attention. I packed up my tools and headed home, and didn't realize I didn't have my 20V saw. One of the guys called and told me he had it, I said thank you, just hold on to it.

Fast forward to Saturday, same guy calls and asks if I got my saw out of his truck. I had not, so he assumes it has been stolen out of his truck. I comfort him, tell him to calm down and quit worrying about it, etc. That night I found a deal with the saw and battery, and a charger and a box for $199, so at least I can upgrade my situation a little. I place the order and go on with life.

Fast forward again to Monday night after another band practice. A different band dad walks up and tells me he has my saw, wife of guy #1 gave it to him on Friday to pass along to me. Don't understand the logic, but OK, the prodigal saw returneth. I let buddy #1 know the saw is found and canceled my order for new tools. How his wife forgot she was the one who stole the saw out of his truck is beyond me.

The disappointment of not having tools on the way was getting to me, and I had already decided that having an empty storage box in the truck would prevent me leaving the saw behind in the future, so I pulled the trigger on these boxes.

Maybe some other time I'll tell ya'll about how a 1-3/8" forstner bit ate my finger.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

Wow, Adam. So many morals there.

Anyway, I'm glad it all turned out well. You got your saw back and your finger is ok.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member

I thought i would give you guys a bit of a review, I'm sure you all need some closure on this adventure.

Part 1 - HomeDepot.com - had the set of three boxes for $64. On Monday 8/28 the web page said "Order in the next 2 hours and 33 minutes to get it on 8/29!!!", so I ordered it. Immediately, I was informed my estimated delivery was 8/30. The order status finally changed from "Processing" to "Shipped" after lunch on 8/30. I received two big card board boxes today. Each contained one Tstak box. Apparently the guy pulling the order missed the part about 1 big one and 2 little ones, and he sent one of each. It took a little over 3 minutes to get through the menus and actually get a human on the phone. The customer service person was very helpful and very nice on the phone. In jst a few minutes she had started a claim to get another box on its way.

Part 2 - Dewalt Tstak Boxes - They appear to be built as least as sturdy as the dewalt kit boxes supplied with drill kits in years past. They are larger than I had in mind but will work well for my intended use. Dewalt sells a precut foam line that I wish I had ordered so that I could make a secure nest for the saw, but I'll make one from black foam I have on hand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member

I added an insert for my saw to sit in somewhat securely - the charger and an extra battery will sit in the bottom under the saw as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 452
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor