Dewalt Scroll Saw

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The Dewalt Scroll Saw is on Amazon right now for $400.00. If you’re sitting on the fence, now is the time!

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Nice heads up Berta!

I just received a Delta 40-694 yesterday (still in the wrapping). Is it worth doing a return and getting the Dewalt instead? Performance wise which is better in your opinion?

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Meh, it's a $70 savings to return what I had and buy the Dewalt. Easy call there for a somewhat newbie to scroll sawing. Already did the new purchase and the return. But any opinions on the Dewalt vs the Delta? Curious? I know Artisan Pirate uses the Delta and I used to have an older Delta that I thought was fine. I've never used the Dewalts.

Is there a big, or even marginal, difference? Preference for any reason over the other?

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
Meh, it's a $70 savings to return what I had and buy the Dewalt. Easy call there for a somewhat newbie to scroll sawing. Already did the new purchase and the return. But any opinions on the Dewalt vs the Delta? Curious? I know Artisan Pirate uses the Delta and I used to have an older Delta that I thought was fine. I've never used the Dewalts.

Is there a big, or even marginal, difference? Preference for any reason over the other?
love my Delta, it also has the pin in the back that holds the arm up while changing for interior cuts

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Don't have one; not not sure what I would use it for. Another rabbit hole to go down? Anyone use one for cleaning out the bottom of dovetails instead of a coping saw?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't have one; not not sure what I would use it for. Another rabbit hole to go down? Anyone use one for cleaning out the bottom of dovetails instead of a coping saw?
I have not tried dovetails but I used my scroll saw to cut box joints and even some mortises.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have a Delta model 40-690 that's like new for sale. It's a 20" unit. It needed a new motor so I have some $$ in it. It comes with the light and stand with adjustable legs for angling the unit. I'd let it go for $300.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Same price as Amazon, no delivery and harder to take back "if you don't like it".

I bet a new model is on the way and this is a clearence, or they just goofed on orders for the backlog during COVID logistics.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I may have to paint it so I can continue to denigrate all yellow tools. Just gave it a quick first pass out of the box. This is the first "yellow" tool that impressed me. Of course, a few projects in it may show any weakness. All tools are that way. Then we adjust our method to the limitations.

Needs mods. Place to hold blades. More light. Some kind of a stand. Standing or sitting I am not sure. Has to be mobile as I am all out of space.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I may have to paint it so I can continue to denigrate all yellow tools. Just gave it a quick first pass out of the box. This is the first "yellow" tool that impressed me. Of course, a few projects in it may show any weakness. All tools are that way. Then we adjust our method to the limitations.

Needs mods. Place to hold blades. More light. Some kind of a stand. Standing or sitting I am not sure. Has to be mobile as I am all out of space.
Since my eyes are 70+ my light is a magnifying light. Best to not mount it to the scroll saw stand due to picking up vibrations. Also go to Horrible Freight and get a deadman foot switch. As far as sit vs stand I sit most of the time on a 30” wooden stool.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Floor switch. That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking if I made the height correct, I could stand for a quick cut and a tall stool for detail. My magnifying light moves around. I should get more. I have an old mic stand and that would make it isolated. Or if I de-coupled the saw from a stand, could stand mount it. It does not vibrate anything like the old one I tried.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Floor switch. That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking if I made the height correct, I could stand for a quick cut and a tall stool for detail. My magnifying light moves around. I should get more. I have an old mic stand and that would make it isolated. Or if I de-coupled the saw from a stand, could stand mount it. It does not vibrate anything like the old one I tried.
Scott, if it helps, I am 5'8" tall and the front of my scroll saw table is 37" high. Like I said I do the bulk of my scroll saw work sitting on my 30" stool.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS