Desk Cable Management Box

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Technology has so many 'virtual' things, I wish they'd come up with 'virtual' cables.
The technology is mostly there. Bluetooth for signals. Induction charging for battery devices. Just need wireless power for non-battery devices.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
SmallBoat, I like the Confidence arrows. But all kidding aside, your sketch is great. I wouldn't dare post one of mine that I drew by hand.
I definitely will have some kind of latch. I liked the suggestion of magnets, but even though they wouldn't be super strong, the idea of mixing magnets with data signals is not computer 101.

Doug, at least I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. So they are making progress.

Since I found sketch up and watched a tutorial, I have been playing a ton on there. I think I have come up with yet another design.
This one will span the entire desk. I will have holes in the vertical supports to pass the cables and a hole on the end by the outlet too.
By extending the lip over the desk, I think that will help hold/support the verticals, especially on the non-recessed end since I don't want to have any visible screw holes if I ever take the box off.
I am thinking I will either need to attach the vertical supports to the nailer by screwing down into the support or maybe use a pocket hole to screw up into the nailer. I still need to figure that out since the opening is only 1.5" deep.
I also will not have a wall right against the desk, unless I need it for stability, but I think I'll be good without it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 2.39.14 PM.png

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
That's looking good. I like that it slips over the edge of the desk and you can fasten into the bottom surface to hold it. The openings to pass the cables through should help keep it from expanding too much.

I didn't realize the desk wasn't symmetrical. This should work well.

Maybe instead of a catch you could use the hinges that snap shut. Sorry I don't know the name. Not a cabinet guy.

And good job making sense of Sketchup quickly!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS