Decided to try intarsia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
The dolphins must be the popular intarsia starter project. Thanks to Fred for helping me saw down some thin stock :notworthy. This was the really thin stuff. 1/4" Bubinga and maple.

It seems the real challenge with intarsia is the glue down and sizing the backing board.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is pretty work. Looks like you will be pretty good at intarsia.

cskipper

Cathy
Your fit between pieces is great, and I love the way the maple gives it dimension. Did you shape each piece after you cut them and before you glued them? I believe that I understood that you size the backboard by laying the finished piece on top of the backboard and tracing it. Is that how you did it? Also, what size and type of blade did you use?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job Greg. Great choice of woods. Trying intarsia is on my list of things to try but it looks like it is now on your accomplished skills list. :icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
Bravo :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Nicely done bro . I've taken a stab or two at intarsia in the past and it is just not something I think I will ever be good at :nah:
I really like your wood choices and the way you've used the grain :icon_thum
Hat's off to you for testing new waters and really doing well right out of the gate ! You'll be up there with Rita in no time :mrgreen:

Good work ! :icon_thum :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:eusa_clapGreat job Greg:icon_thum Intarsia is coming up on my list - as soon as I can get a pneumatic (did I spell that right:icon_scra) pump sander to shape those pieces - Keep up the good work

Hook

New User
Gregory
Let's see. I used the FD #5 blades on which every third tooth is reversed. I actually used the "whole" pattern to cut the backing and then used a scribe to mark another 1/8 inch off all the way around. I did what limited shaping I could do with my oscillating hand held sander before the gluedown, and maybe should have used the dremel with a sanding drum. Next time I'll be setting up one of my drill presses with a sanding drum. :eusa_thin

I think I'll be trying a few more "simpler" beginner type projects before I move on to the more complicated ones I really want to accomplish (I picked out a 60+ piece seascape scene I KNOW I'm not ready to try just yet).

The pieces didn't fit as well as I'd hoped they would but the fit did end up ok. :embarrassed:

Thanks to all for the encouragment. :embaresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors