Coping Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here's a coping saw I just made. Found the basic plans by a gentleman named Bob Smalser on the Sawmill Creek forum. I think it came out ok and it seems to work quite well, but there are some refinements I'd like to add at some time. It definitely tensions the blade nicely!

P1000473.jpg

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Great work. Does it handle better than conventional coping saws? I never can get one that works like I think it should. Even if yous didn't work so well, It would look good just hanging in the tool cabinet.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great work. Does it handle better than conventional coping saws? I never can get one that works like I think it should. Even if yous didn't work so well, It would look good just hanging in the tool cabinet.

It seems to work pretty well. I need to see it I have a piece of crown to try it out on, but I have only made one quick cut so far. I have a couple crown/base/chair rail jobs coming up and I'll really get a chance to put it through some paces then! If it doesn't perform as needed, at least it'll look nice on the wall like you said!:rofl:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Very nice. Did you make the blade holders as well?

Yes, They are 1/4" steel rod. I cut the slots with my jig saw and cut the threads with a 1/4-20 die. I then applied some gun bluing. Brass acorns and wing nut were picked up at the borg. The handle has a brass ferrule that is for air hose conenctions that I bought off ebay.

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Thats a nice piece of work

I've given thought to doing a bow saw, but after looking at your coping saw, I may reconcider my effort.

My biggest kick against the metal ones availible at the BORG are they are not riged enough when doing trim for my taste.

And yes, do let us know how how it does on the job. If it does half as good as it looks, it'll be a good tool to have.

Thanks for the post.

Lamar

nelsone

New User
Ed
I still haven't done any coping with the saw, but on the few cuts I have made, it works really well. Definitely puts more tension on the blade than any of the metal, store bought types. I may have to make another and go a little thinner on the stock. It really is a fun project, and it is nice being able to use a tool you made to do something. The only thing I would add to the saw would be a small pin to adjust the blade angle on the non-handle side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS