Considering a Festool ETS 150/5 EQ-Plus 6" Random Orbit sander. Who's got one?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
As a possible alternative - not knocking Festool at all - they are awesome, but I have built a similar setup to the Festool offerings, w/ Bosch equipment - not necessarily because I think that the Bosch line is SUPERIOR, but because I cant find anything to imply that they are significantly inferior in any meaningful (to me) ways - including several head : head comparisons, personal use, etc, and if I'm being honest, as a hobby-guy, (that sometimes goes months w/o touching my woodworking tools), I was reluctant at the total investment to buy into the full-bore Festool infrastructure - sander(s), vac, track saw, etc, etc, etc).

That said, for sanding, I use the Bosch 1250DEV sander, (dual mode - similar to the Rotex), and Bosch HEPA vac, (similar to the CT36), and love them both - having used both, I cannot tell a meaningful difference in my experience w/ Festool products, which are of course excellent tools, but when putting together my own hobby shop, w/ equivalent performance, (again as measured by me - your mileage may vary), and at ~30% less initial investment - I pulled the trigger on the Bosch lineup. Festool was first-to-market fore sure, and has a well-deserved reputation - but another alternate to consider if nothing else.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
As a possible alternative - not knocking Festool at all - they are awesome, but I have built a similar setup to the Festool offerings, w/ Bosch equipment - not necessarily because I think that the Bosch line is SUPERIOR, but because I cant find anything to imply that they are significantly inferior in any meaningful (to me) ways - including several head : head comparisons, personal use, etc, and if I'm being honest, as a hobby-guy, (that sometimes goes months w/o touching my woodworking tools), I was reluctant at the total investment to buy into the full-bore Festool infrastructure - sander(s), vac, track saw, etc, etc, etc).

That said, for sanding, I use the Bosch 1250DEV sander, (dual mode - similar to the Rotex), and Bosch HEPA vac, (similar to the CT36), and love them both - having used both, I cannot tell a meaningful difference in my experience w/ Festool products, which are of course excellent tools, but when putting together my own hobby shop, w/ equivalent performance, (again as measured by me - your mileage may vary), and at ~30% less initial investment - I pulled the trigger on the Bosch lineup. Festool was first-to-market fore sure, and has a well-deserved reputation - but another alternate to consider if nothing else.

+1

Reactions: red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Red, I use my sander primarily as a finish sander. I have completed several pieces of furniture using it and am very satisfied with the finish. My usual sanding sequence is starting with 120 grit, then 150, 180 and finishing with 220. I am very content with the surface at that point. In finishing, I use a HVLP system and General Finishes Enduro-Var satin finish. Between each coat, I rub it down with Scotch Brite abrasive pads beginning with a course then medium and finally a fine texture. I will match the final finish I get against any. I particularly like it on large flat surfaces, like those on the two armoire I recently completed and think it would work really well on the cutting boards you are producing. The aggressive sanding mode is useful but is definitely a two handed operation.

Thanks Rob and All. More to think about! Great info!

Red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Just to update I did purchase the CT 36E HEPA Dust Extractor and have the RO 150 FEQ-Plus 6" Rotex ordered. It's backordered until March. Haven't used the vac yet but I able to hook it up to my dust deputy and Ridgid sander so that keeps me going until the new sander arrives. Thanks.

Red

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just to update I did purchase the CT 36E HEPA Dust Extractor and have the RO 150 FEQ-Plus 6" Rotex ordered. It's backordered until March. Haven't used the vac yet but I able to hook it up to my dust deputy and Ridgid sander so that keeps me going until the new sander arrives. Thanks.

Red
How did you hook it up to the Rigid sander? (I thought the ports were VERY different?)

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
No duct tape. The Festool hose fits nicely onto the dust deputy and then the Ridgid sand connects as usual. Very easy. And when I get the new Festool sander I just need to switch the hoses around and it works fine.

Red

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
No duct tape. The Festool hose fits nicely onto the dust deputy and then the Ridgid sand connects as usual. Very easy. And when I get the new Festool sander I just need to switch the hoses around and it works fine.

Red
AH!
I read " hook it up to my dust deputy and Ridgid sander" meaning separately, but now it makes sense, connected to the DD and then everything out from there... Thanks

Reactions: red

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I have it and use it with their vacuum. Just repaired walls prepping for painting and used it to sand, zero drywall dust escaped the system.

I also find it much easier and better quality to sand then some other orbital sanders I've used in the past. It's worth every penny.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
$390! Ye Gods! You could buy a very good ROS use it wear it out, throw it away about 4 times over. I have sold Festool it's nice stuff, but way, way over priced.

Pop :cool:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS