Coaster cork glue vs. finish

Scott H

Scott
User
I'm thinking of making some wooden coasters as a last minute gift. I was planning on using polyurethane finish.

Normally I would finish all sides of a piece so there is even moisture absorption on the top vs. bottom to avoid warping... But also I don't know how well various glues would stick to polyurethane finish to hold the cork on the bottom. And maybe the glue is enough of a moisture barrier that it doesn't matter?

Basically, is it better to leave the bottom unfinished and glue cork directly to bare wood, or should I finish the whole thing and glue the cork on? What glues would even stick to polyurethane finish at all?

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Scott,

Imagine that ... I JUST finished some coasters (second and third batch, btw). I rubbed on Satin poly on all surfaces and let it set 24 hours.

I then masked off the area where the coaster pad (shelf liner in my case) was NOT going, and applied contact cement to both the coaster and the pad ... let sit until the contact cement dried to the touch, applied the pad, and used a J-roller to ensure a good bond.

Be sure to apply enough contact cement that it doesn't absorb into the cork, and you should be good.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS