Checking In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Pentz

New User
Bill Pentz
Hi,

Alan in Little Washington is an old Internet friend that built a cyclone from my plans then proceeded to educate me. He did a pretty good job considering what he had to start with. Anyhow, I thought I would drop in and say hello, plus give a little praise to Alan for his latest in a dust bin sensor. His solution is clean, works well and easy to implement with not too much effort.

I suspect a few of you know me from my web pages. My career as a trouble shooter and university instructor has my resume looking like I never could hold a job, yet I retired with 37 years of service as a civil servant plus with 29 years of teaching.

My time continues to mostly be spent helping with dust collection and doing some remodeling on a way too big house that I live in alone or at least with my two dogs the kids left when they moved on to college. I have most of the woodworking toys (Robland separates, Inca saw, Inca joiner/planer, Jet DC & air cleaner, Delta band saw, RBI Hawk scroll saw, ShopSmith 510, drill press, router table with Incra setup, and Clear Vue Cyclone). I can even use a few of these tools, but some still have me scratching my thinning patch of hair on top.

I bought an Oneida Air Systems cyclone with ducting only to land in the hospital in early 1999 nearly dying from a severe reaction to the fine invisible dust that system failed to catch. I diligently wore my mask when making dust plus always ran my dust collectors with fine filter bags or cyclone whenever working, but was unaware of the fugitive dust problem. Fugitive dust is dust that escapes collection either because our tool hoods are too open, we don’t move enough air to suck in that dust, or we use filters that are too open and allow the dust to sneak through. Regardless, calling in a favor for a medical air quality check three months after I went to the hospital showed my shop and home were both seriously contaminated. I used a lot of exotic and fairly toxic woods known to quickly build up allergic reactions. The result left me blindsided. Rather than whine I went to work to figure out what went wrong as I did not want to have to give up either my tool collection or woodworking. Figuring out what went wrong and what was required to make repair was tough because there is far more bad information about dust collection than good. I spent a lot of time overhauling the existing cyclone designs that were then used by almost all small shop vendors. Although my friends and I made great headway which I documented and shared in a larger forum post then later on my Cyclone Modification pages, I finally realized that basic design was never going to provide good enough separation to work well with the fine filters I needed to protect my health. The problem is wood dust is full of silica, better known as ground glass and this stuff hangs around nearly forever saying nothing of doing bad things to our respiratory systems very similar to asbestos. It takes a long time, but almost all develop problems and about one in eight at small shop airborne dust levels get seriously ill. I went back to the basic cyclone physics then used my eclectic background to come up with a much better separating and more air efficient cyclone. The result looked good on paper but I had to build “Mount Cyclone” in the backyard to work out the details.

Anyhow, my doctor friend, a fellow woodworker, was impressed and talked me into sharing. I did on a few early forums in the form of additional articles then relearned an old lesson. No good deed goes unpunished. I got hammered with emails. In self-defense I put up my articles, cyclone plan, muffler plan, blower design, downdraft table etc. on my own personal web pages. Soon the traffic and links overwhelmed the available bandwidth of my local ISP and I was forced upgrade to a commercial ISP site plus get a faster connection. I've kept these pages going ever since much to the upset of many in the vendor community who keep trying to sell small shop woodworkers "chip collectors" with finer filters.

Anyhow, that’s a quick overview on me.

bill

M

McRabbet

Bill,

I am honored to be one of the first to welcome you to the NC Woodworkers website. I've reviewed your web pages many times and, because I know that the fine dust we produce in our shops is a pervasive enemy, I've tried to improve my methods whenever possible. I have pledged to upgrade my DC system this year because I have a small unit that is capable of handling only a single machine at a time. It is installed outside my shop (actually in my crawl space), so its less-than-ideal filtration doesn't send return air back to the shop. I diligently wear a cartridge-style face respirator and Peltor ear muffs to protect my lungs and ears while running all of my power tools. I am finishing two commissioned projects this spring which should yield enough profit to run 6" PVC ductwork under my shop floor to all of my power tools and to upgrade to a 2-3 HP DC.

I should add that we are all impressed with Alan in Little Washington's shop and his dust collection system installed under the shop floor. He has done a nice job -- know we know where he got his good advice! :eusa_clap

Welcome aboard! Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome Bill. I too, have gotten lost reading your site about dust collection. Thank you for joining us!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Bill,
Welcome to NCWW! We're honored to have your presence. I was on this website for about 3 days before it led me to your site and to the realization that, in the woodworking community, you are considered the foremost expert in dust collection.
I hope that you stick around for a while and enjoy the camaraderie! This site has a great bunch of folks. Everyone is very helpful and egos are checked at the door.
Now how about some pictures of your woodworking projects? We know all about Bill Pentz the dust collection expert, how about Bill Pentz the woodworker?
Welcome aboard. It's nice to meet you and I hope that we'll be seeing you regularly-it will truely be our pleasure!
-Chris

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Sweeet,,
Welcom friend, I want to make one of your cyclones this summer. Guess I know where to find you now,,lol. Great to have you on board. God bless

JohnW

New User
John
Hi Bill,
Welcome to NC Woodworker and thanks for all the research and making it available to everyone.
John W

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Bill!
It's always great to add a legend to our membership. :icon_thum

BTW, is your shop as cool as Alan's :lol:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors