Can you get "Kick Back" on a Band Saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
YES! I proved it today. :BangHead::BangHead: But not intended. I was cutting up some Holly into blocks for turning later. I had marked the piece where I wanted to saw it with a Scripto on the bark of the wood. When I went to saw it by pushing it with my mitre gauge, I was not sure where the mark was since it had faded some. So I pulled it back from the blade and turned it loose. Normally not a problem but since this was a rough piece of wood it was not round and it rolled into the 3/4" BS bladed before I could turn the saw off. Boy did it ever get my attention when the wood hit the blade. The saw cut all the way around the wood, ripped the bark off (bark had dried some) and bent the heck out of my nice 3/4" Timberwolf blade. :BangHead::BangHead: Sure glad my hands were not near the blade. I tried flattening the blade where it was bent but could not get it totally flat so I guess a new one will be on my wish list.

Lesson learned. Be more careful with rough wood on the BS.

J

jeff...

Just try and hit piece of trash (steel / glass / rock) with power feed on, It gets exciting sometimes.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A Bandsaw can't give you kick-back, but it can give you kick-down.Some of the most exciting memories I have from my shop are cutting Lexan, and it shattered, and having a band break on me. The force of a bandsaw is downward so it can't do much other than slam your work piece against the table or bust a band if it gets into a bind..slamming the work piece against the table
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Just because the blade moves vertically, it doesn't mean that you cannot get hurt in many different ways -- it might not be called "kickback", but many of the same characteristics can occur with a bandsaw to injure a careless user. I still adhere to the 4" rule and use a push stick to move stock through when ripping against the fence -- I've had blades break or pop off the wheels and they can cover a substantial "danger zone" around the insert int he table. I've also had small pieces break off, get caught and have seen them go flying off coarser blades. I always wear goggles or my full face shield when sawing.

Although I consider a bandsaw much safer than a tablesaw, I use either of mine with cautious respect.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Good advice, Rob. Especially the 4" rule. I get too close lots of times cutting out parts for chairs and also rounding over on the router. :embaresse

Those blades don't feel a thing, do they?
:confused_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS