Calculating Location of Grooves on Cylinder

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a cylinder (a piece 3” long and a little over 1 1/2” in dia. that I turned ) I want to put some decorative grooves equally spaced length wise) This is sort of an experiment for a repair. . I usually just mark them and experiment how many and how far apart…. I know there should be some math to calculate let’s say 8 grooves on a 1 1/2” diameter piece putting them from one end to the other lengthwise…I hope this makes sense lol!. I would be cutting grooves using a “v” bit with my mini mill ….

RickR

Rick
Senior User
if you have an indexing ring on your lathe, the easiest way would be to use it to make layout marks 45 degrees apart (360/8). Lacking that, the spacing can be calculated as 3.14 times diameter divided by 8. The spacing is measured on the surface of the cylinder.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Draw a line from top to bottom and use a set of dividers and step off the placement of the grooves

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Wrap a piece of masking tape around it. Mark the tape or razor cut the tape. Take the tape off and divide by 8. Mark the segments. Split the tape and wrap around the ends. Mark the stock with a straightedge. A 1.5" diameter should have marks about every .589" on the strip of tape. There's a trick with a T-square and a ruler at an angle but I can't figure out how to quickly convey that trick.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Think of your cylinder as a flat piece of paper rolled up.
You already know one dimention - the length of your piece - 3” long.
Other is circumference (C = 3.14 x Diameter) - 3.14 x 1.5 = 4.71
4.71 / 8 = 0.58875"

37/64 = 0.5781"
19/32 = 0.5937"

4 23/64" = 4.7187

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
4.71 / 8 = 0.58875" = 14.95425 mm
37/64 = 0.5781" = 14.68374 mm
19/32 = 0.5937" = 15.07998 mm
4 23/64" = 4.7187 = 119.85498 mm
No matter how you measure it that's too much math.
Much easier to take that flat piece of paper you just unrolled, fold it into eighths, wrap it back around the cylinder, and transfer the creases to the cylinder. No measuring. No mistakes.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
No matter how you measure it that's too much math.
Much easier to take that flat piece of paper you just unrolled, fold it into eighths, wrap it back around the cylinder, and transfer the creases to the cylinder. No measuring. No mistakes.
After learning Hex, Octal, Binary, Etc ....

Why can't we just switch to the Metric system and be done with it.

bainin

New User
bainin
8 equal spaces on a 360degree circle.. every 45 degrees. Thats a pretty easy angle to get in the shop.

b

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS