cabinet for laundry room

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have been asked to build a cabinet for a laundry room and would appreciate some input from the cabinetry experts. I was originally thinking of using MDF, but melamine may work better. If my client wants white cabinets, the melamine won't be an issue, but he mentioned stained cabinets this evening. Only the face of the cabinet will be exposed because the cabinet will be installed on a 70" wall and will run the full length. Would the melamine look ok for the case with a stained hardwood face and doors? The only time you would see the white melamine would be when the doors are open and I think the melamine would make for easier cleanup in the laundry room.

Thanks for any input and advise!

Attachments

• dean cabinet.jpg
    dean cabinet.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 177

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not a cabinet expert by any means. But I would think that from a practical aspect a Melamine carcass with stained hardwood face frames and doors would be a great way to go. I know that countless times a detergent bottle in my laundry room cabinet has dripped,leaked or otherwise made a big ol' mess, and the Melamine interior would facilitate very easy clean-up (wish that I had them).
My $.02, Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I built our laundry room cabinets out of melamine and built a cherry face to go on them. We've had no issues with the cabinets and the nice part was the melamine for the sides was pre-drilled for shelves. That saved me a lot of drilling time. The only other thing I had to do was make a faux bottom. You could see the bottom of the cabinet so I put a 1/4" cherry plywood layer on to hide the white melamine.
Ron

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have used melamine for cabinet boxes for a complete set of house cabinets including the bathrooms and laundry area with no problems. Easy cleanup for a laundry area. I assembled mine with lots of biscuits and then transported them in a pickup truck and then up stairs and had no structual problems. Just my .02.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks for the input guys! Biscuits are the way I plan to go with these. I'll see if I can get some pics along the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS