Byrd Shelix- planer or jointer first???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I didn't want to hijack Mike's Byrd install report. One or two Byrd heads are in my (distant?) future, if/when I get the $$$. Now, the question is, get one for the planer or jointer first?

My thoughts- If just using the jointer just to edges for gluing, the Byrd is not really needed. If truing/flatening the face of a board, you are likely going to plane to thickness afterwards removing any tearout in the process. So, wouldn't it be more logical (cost aside) to put a Byrd head on my planer first, before putting one on the jointer????

What do you guys think?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with your logic. You can flatten with the jointer, and come back and get a pass on the planer after you have both sides parallel.

Initially, I though jointer first, but your logic does make sense to me.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like your logic Alan and would definitely go planer first. The only reason I could think of to go jointer first is if you were resawing a lot of veneer in figured wood or wood with interlocking grain...face joint, saw...face joint, saw.

For 98 percent of my work...face joint, planer, edge joint, rip. I'd love to have a big planer with a Byrd head!!

Chuck

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
at about $1K for a 20" byrd head, that one will be a little while, but it is still planned. I have the advantage of buying a jointer with the byrd head already installed, which will save asking for permission to buy that later :)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
at about $1K for a 20" byrd head, that one will be a little while, but it is still planned. I have the advantage of buying a jointer with the byrd head already installed, which will save asking for permission to buy that later :)

I haven't figured how to get around that permission thing yet!:eusa_booh:eusa_boohespecially now with tax time coming around- I'll likely owe some. However, if they owe me, that will be the time to strike! I'll only need to get a 15" Byrd- still expensive at around $700 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS