BS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I will admit up front that the BS is not my best friend in the shop. A BS must be a machine that requires talent to use. That would explain the first sentence of this post.:rotflm:

Drift seems to be a given with a BS (?). Here comes the dumb question of the day. Why not place a thin kerf blade in your TS and score a shallow kerf on the two opposing edges of the board? Would the BS blade not tend to follow the kerf? What am I missing here? I do understand that this would not be applicable in all uses of the BS.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I assume you are having problems with resawing? First step is to make sure you have your bandsaw set up properly. The smaller 14" saws can be a little more challenging for resawing, but it can be done. I doubt scoring both sides of your board will help much.

woodnick

New User
Nick
When resawing I use the Table saw to remove as much as possible then use the Band saw to remove the web

Glennbear

Glenn
I will admit up front that the BS is not my best friend in the shop. A BS must be a machine that requires talent to use. That would explain the first sentence of this post.:rotflm:

Drift seems to be a given with a BS (?). Here comes the dumb question of the day. Why not place a thin kerf blade in your TS and score a shallow kerf on the two opposing edges of the board? Would the BS blade not tend to follow the kerf? What am I missing here? I do understand that this would not be applicable in all uses of the BS.

I do not know about both sides but I have seen it recommended to make a TS kerf first. Methinks that trying to get two kerfs on opposing sides aligned might be problematic although woodnick says it works for him:wsmile:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If the bandsaw is setup properly, drift is a function of the bandsaw blade. Get good blades and you should have negligible drift.

If you are just outright over-taxing the saw, I see how the results could be undesirable.

Do you think the saw is set up properly, what blades are you using and are you trying to saw ?

-Mark

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
To be honest my BS has been used mostly as a dust collector. I have an enclosed base Delta, with riser, that I think is 1hp. Seems like I paid around $750 for it. This was a number of years ago. Just became frustrated with it.

With the price of wood, and the cost of going to get it, going so high I am thinking about making some smaller projects in the future. 99% of my work has been making furniture. Some of the things I am thinking about doing in the future lend themselves to using the BS.

I have read two articles in the last few weeks that really took some very serious shots at all the after market stuff for the TS. After some basic fundamentals are covered these articles lead one to believe that quality work can be done on a BS without spending hunreds of $'s on after market stuff.

Guess I need to buy a couple of new blades, knock of the dust, and practice. If there is anyone within a reasonable driving distance that would be willing to give a little hands on guidance I would be greatly appreciative.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I will admit up front that the bandsaw is not my best friend in the shop. A BS must be a machine that requires talent to use. That would explain the first sentence of this post.:rotflm:

Drift seems to be a given with a BS (?). Here comes the dumb question of the day. Why not place a thin kerf blade in your tablesaw and score a shallow kerf on the two opposing edges of the board? Would the BS blade not tend to follow the kerf? What am I missing here? I do understand that this would not be applicable in all uses of the BS.

It takes some talent to use, but I am of the opinion getting it set up right and not ovretaxing your set up is more important. Lastly, I cannot overstate the importance of good blades. I have had brand new blades that were horrible.

As for the tablesaw kerf, I have seen it done, and it will help, but still, getting to know your bandsaw and getting it set up right is task number 1. Every time you change the blade you should go through the full process of guide adjustments, fence adjustments, etc.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
To be honest my BS has been used mostly as a dust collector. I have an enclosed base Delta, with riser, that I think is 1hp. Seems like I paid around $750 for it. This was a number of years ago. Just became frustrated with it.

With the price of wood, and the cost of going to get it, going so high I am thinking about making some smaller projects in the future. 99% of my work has been making furniture. Some of the things I am thinking about doing in the future lend themselves to using the BS.

I have read two articles in the last few weeks that really took some very serious shots at all the after market stuff for the TS. After some basic fundamentals are covered these articles lead one to believe that quality work can be done on a BS without spending hunreds of $'s on after market stuff.

Guess I need to buy a couple of new blades, knock of the dust, and practice. If there is anyone within a reasonable driving distance that would be willing to give a little hands on guidance I would be greatly appreciative.

I would say you have a good set up and should be able to resaw without much trouble. I would check to make sure the wheels are coplanar since you put the riser block in place. Get a couple of good blades and go from there.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Check the placement of the blade on the wheels of your saw. the blade should run in the center of the wheel. Too far off center in either direction will produce drift.

Jerry

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
As mentioned by Travis and Jerry, make sure the wheels are aligned and the tracking is set for the blade you have installed. A riser throws wrinkles into the setup, many are not machined well enough to ensure the same alignment you had with the factory machining on the BS.
I am an advocate of adjusting any normal drift with the blade tracking, not by offsetting the fence.
ken

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Keye,

Get one of these. I was having the same problem you're having and once I threw one of these puppies on there it made a world of difference. I got a 1/2" and a 3/4" blade and am currently resawing with the half inch blade. After you get one and get it tensioned, you might have to adjust the table to account for lead but it should work much better for you.

HTH

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors