Broken bandsaw blade

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
They don’t always break at the weld. See the neat weld to the right of the broken end.
22326930-7700-401C-B056-FD2594575EBC.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Wow, I hate band saw blades breaking, very un-nerving. Looks like the metal fatigued ...... it is the saw telling you it wants a new blade.... :D

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Wow, I hate band saw blades breaking, very un-nerving. Looks like the metal fatigued ...... it is the saw telling you it wants a new blade.... :D
This one failed fairly gently with just a pop. Breaking outside the housings might have made a difference.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Looking at the picture, it looks like another hair line crack is developing just above the weld. Time to call Union Grove and order a new blade, or blades.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Looking at the picture, it looks like another hair line crack is developing just above the weld. Time to call Union Grove and order a new blade, or blades.
This blade came from the guy that sold out to Union Grove.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This blade came from the guy that sold out to Union Grove.
Then that blade has been there a while.
Metal fatigue can be an issue on a tight radius band saw like a 14" (7" radius). The blade bends straightens and then bends again over that tight radius. Some blades can't take that only for so long.
A HEFB blade is best for the tight radius band saws. (HEFB= hard edge, flex back)
I once welded up some bands for a 10" band saw (Delta 768). They cut great for a while then broke. I tested the last one that broke. I could snap it as easily as a pretzel stick. Classic metal fatigue. I changed to a HEFB blade and no more problems. Turns out, I found out later, that I was using old stock intended for larger saws (20" - 36").

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS