Blending Oaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anyone have any tips on blending Red Oak and White Oak to look similar. I was too cheap to buy W. Oak ply for my hutch doors and used R. Oak (I did try to pick out some that wasn't too pink), the frames are W. Oak. Also I could only find crown moulding in R. Oak. I would like to even out the color differences between the different woods. I would like a color similar to "Golden Oak" as you often find on cheap Oak cabinets.
TIA, Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ummmm, I think the most effective blending agent that I know of is called paint. If you are unfamiliar with the product, you can even select your very own color... even peach :rolf:

J

jeff...

Anyone have any tips on blending Red Oak and White Oak to look similar. I was too cheap to buy W. Oak ply for my hutch doors and used R. Oak (I did try to pick out some that wasn't too pink), the frames are W. Oak. Also I could only find crown moulding in R. Oak. I would like to even out the color differences between the different woods. I would like a color similar to "Golden Oak" as you often find on cheap Oak cabinets.

Golden oak toner ---> http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/item_view.asp?src=cat&ictNbr=171&itemNbr=204

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man, I am gonna have to paint almost the whole piece. The boss has allowed me to show a little skin (natural unpainted wood that is) on the doors, "counter" top and crown, so I have to make it look good.
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
for me, that would be an "uh oh" moment. Much of your work has been shown here, I am certain you will pull it off just fine :)

MikeF

New User
Mike
Dave, you may have luck trying the Minwax water based white oak stain. I just used it on the TV stand I just built and it turned out great. I used it on Red Oak and it took most of the pink color out of the wood. I was trying to match some existing furniture and it is almost exact.

When applying, it looks like white paint. I experimented on a few scrap pieces to get the exact color I was looking for. I also tried sanding with various grit sandpaper and sanding sealer to avoid the red oak soaking up too much of the stain in the larger pores.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, any pictures of how that piece turned out???

I do have a spare set of doors to practice my finish schedule on :eusa_doh: Yea, that's why I made them to practice the finish :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Mike, I like that look and it does look very even. I'll have to give that a try on one sample.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
It is very difficault to get red oak to look like white oat from either a color or grain point of view.

The only way I am familier with is to use a two part A/B wood bleach on the red oak. A/B bleach is intended to remove the natural coloring from wood. It is a frequent first step in much of the lesser coat factory furniture. Once you have the color out, you can then stain the wood to whatever color you want. You may have to bleach the white oak too. Try it on your samples.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Howard. Actually I would like to have the White Oak look more like the Red Oak or at least minimze the differences between them. But failing that, the contrast between the frame and panel could be a nice decorative touch :eusa_thin

MikeH

New User
Mike
ummmm, I think the most effective blending agent that I know of is called paint. If you are unfamiliar with the product, you can even select your very own color... even peach :rolf:

I agree with NCPete....it might look great in peach.:rolf: :eusa_danc

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Dave, that's easier. Just add a little red to the golden oak and apply it to the white oak. Try Minwax red mahogany. Add and test a teaspoon at a time. The color when wet but wiped will be pretty close to the final color. If you plan to use a clear coat, be sure to put the clear coat on both the red oak before you start comparing.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Dave-------I have used minwax special walnut oil stain on both red and white oak---I could not see a lot of difference when it dried. May be the same case with Golden Oak stain. Grain pattern will vary according to how it was sawn anyway. The oil stain on sample pieces may be worth a try.:)

My finish coat was urethane.

Jerry

botebum

New User
Doug
I think that if you try to match the two woods it'll look like you tried to match two different woods. My opinion is to use the contrast between the two to your advantage.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS