Bifocal safety glasses in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I am at that age (47) that I must use glasses to see precision details in the shop. This is especially true when trying to cutting dovetails and such. I have a pair of bifocal safety glasses that I wear most often but find that the small magnifying section on the bottom of the glasses makes it difficult to see items without having to tilt my head back at odd angles. I have reading glasses that are easier to see with but fail on the safety part so switching back and forth from them to safety glasses is also a pain. So my question to you guys is, those that need glasses to see those tiny marks and such in the shop, what do you use? Thanks!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use prescription safety glasses with a progressive grind - there are no lines - so just a slight movement of the eyes and I get the benefit of close-up view without turning my head and neck.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got some prescription safety glasses made when my regular ones were made at Walmart's optical. They have side guards. They were not very expensive and they discount a second pair. Only thing is occasionally when working overhead I would like to put them on upside down.

There are some mail-order places that are even cheaper.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I have a pair of prescription safety glasses as well but they are hard to get used to. When turning my head the items in my field of view seem to swing sort of like a pendulum if that makes sense, so I put them away for the plain safety glasses with the readers in the bottom. Maybe I just need to force myself to get adjusted to wearing the prescription ones. Getting old stinks! lol

cpw

New User
Charles
Prescription bifocal safety glasses. I had the problem you describe when they were new, but I just got used to it and now I just automatically compensate for it.
This reminds me that I need to get a new set updated to my current Rx.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Getting old is NOT for sissies!
I have a pair of prescription safety glasses as well but they are hard to get used to. When turning my head the items in my field of view seem to swing sort of like a pendulum if that makes sense, so I put them away for the plain safety glasses with the readers in the bottom. Maybe I just need to force myself to get adjusted to wearing the prescription ones. Getting old stinks! lol

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I have a pair of progressive bifocal safety glasses with side shields (Walmart Vision as I recall) that I usually wear. I'm nearsighted and my "sweet spot" is at about 14 to 18", so if I'm doing extended close up work, I'll swap for a regular pair of safety glasses. I usually work at the computer with no glasses on (or up on my forehead LOL).

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
SSP Eyewear will put the reader portion of safety glasses at the top (good for shooting) or the bottom (good for looking at your belly button).

https://sspeyewear.com/

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sam try Readers.com. They have full lense safety glasses pretty reasonable. I don't like the bifocals either

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I use plastic safety glasses that fit over my regular glasses. My eyes are bad enough that prescription safety glasses weigh about as much as my belt sander.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
SSP Eyewear will put the reader portion of safety glasses at the top (good for shooting) or the bottom (good for looking at your belly button).

https://sspeyewear.com/

Mine have the reader portion at both the top and bottom and are progressive. I get them from Zenni Optical at a small fraction of the norm. My last order two pairs, one tinted, all options, were less than $100 delivered in 10 days

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wear prescription progressive safety glasses. If I need to see something small, I can see better without glasses if I can get within a foot or so of it.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I decided at about your age to toss out vanity and wear progressive lens glasses full time. I have tried different approaches and get the best results using safety glasses designed to fit over the progressives and an Optivisor knockoff for extreme closeup work.

For dovetails you may get best results using a marking knife for the line and catching the chisel in the notch when making the final paring cut. Use feel instead of vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS