Best way to make a square mortise?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
What is your location? If you're wanting a mortiser I have one I don't use anymore. It can be had cheap. Pm me if you're not too far away. I'm in franklinton.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm building a chevalet. The main support post is attached to the base using a double tenon and through mortises. The tenons were cut entirely by hand. I used a 5/8" Forstner bit in the drill press to clear out most of the mortise, then a corner and paring chisels to square and smooth the holes. Since the tenons will be wedged I wanted them to be square rather than rounded.

Given the size of these I'm not sure the typical mortising machine would have the capacity. These are beefy tenons in 3-1/2" thick stock. Regardless, this is the kind of work I really enjoy doing by hand -- very satisfying when you make it fit.

IMG_3716.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm building a chevalet. The main support post is attached to the base using a double tenon and through mortises. The tenons were cut entirely by hand. I used a 5/8" Forstner bit in the drill press to clear out most of the mortise, then a corner and paring chisels to square and smooth the holes. Since the tenons will be wedged I wanted them to be square rather than rounded.

Given the size of these I'm not sure the typical mortising machine would have the capacity. These are beefy tenons in 3-1/2" thick stock. Regardless, this is the kind of work I really enjoy doing by hand -- very satisfying when you make it fit.
Jim is that Beech?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS