Beading plane

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Sometimes it pays to get dragged to an antique store by your spouse. Just about the only tool in the large store was this boxed English beading plane for $22. FWIW, it’s Warranted. Needs sharpening.
3B341485-0C56-4BBB-963D-7698CC52B44C.jpeg

450EAB27-9ECF-4C2B-B278-517A1BFFD38C.jpeg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a round diamond file to shape and sharpen these small bead planes. You have to be very careful to not alter the profile once you get it right. For example, the sides of the curve require little if any filing and then more as you work towards the center.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Worked on sharpening the beading plane iron for a while today. The back needed a whole lot of flattening and my hand started to hurt pretty quickly. First try at a carrier was a groove in a walnut scrap. This helped some but then my hand hurt on the walnut.
IMG_3708.JPG

Since the walnut was wet now, I used CA glue to add a flattened oak dowel as a handle and a brass screw. This worked better. Note, if you look above the brass screw, you can see the weld where the steel cutting edge was welded to the iron tang.
IMG_3711.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG

Not done sharpening yet but it does cut fairly well. The wide quirk is due to my inexperience.
IMG_3715.JPG

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I think you will find that sharpening the iron is only half the work needed for side escapement planes to perform well. You will also have to match the iron with the plane sole as in most cases the wood has shrunk and will no longer match the iron.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A Slack & Howden is a good plane and unless there are some unseen problems, I think that will be a nice beading plane. A few dowels of the correct diameter with some sandpaper glued to it will work, as Jim Creasman mentioned a diamond file does make quick work of it.

As for flattening the back - I get BAD cramps in my hands and have gone nearly exclusively to using magswitches for holding irons when I flatten the backs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A Slack & Howden is a good plane and unless there are some unseen problems, I think that will be a nice beading plane. A few dowels of the correct diameter with some sandpaper glued to it will work, as Jim Creasman mentioned a diamond file does make quick work of it.

As for flattening the back - I get BAD cramps in my hands and have gone nearly exclusively to using magswitches for holding irons when I flatten the backs.
I found that magnesium oil helps my hand cramps when carving or sharpening.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors