Band Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle520

New User
Randy
Hi,
I'm new to NCCW and need some help on purchasing a band saw. I have a gift card for Home Depot that will cover the price of a Rigid 14" band saw. i've looked at other models and some of them can be pricey. Has anyone used this saw or know anything about it ??

Thanks

M

McRabbet

Randy,

I can't help you with the Ridgid bandsaw (I have a Grizzly G0555 14" with a riser block and like it), but I'm sure others here will give you sound advice.

By the way (or BTW in NCWW-speak), you need to introduce yourself to the rest of the members here with a Post in the Who We Are Forum, as fewer will see this thread. I'll greet you over there when you do! (Happy you are here!)

Sully

New User
jay
Welcome to NCWW Randy.

I have that band saw. :eusa_danc

Mine is somewhat tricked out (riser block, carter guides/tires, Kreg fence, mobile base) compared to the stock version. However, even right off the shelf I was very pleased with the saw. It's done everything I've ever asked of it: ripping, resawing, curve sawing, etc. The upgrades were to satisfy my tool buying disease, rather than a necessity. :drunken_s I am very happy with mine.

One important tip about this saw: the 6" riser block from Grizzly (model number GO555) fits the Ridgid saw perfectly without any modifications necessary. That's the route I took, especially considering that the Ridgid version was back ordered and about 2 1/2 times as expensive. Of course, you only need the riser block if you plan to do any major resawing. :icon_thum

Hope that helps. Oh, and please do introduce yourself over in the announcements section....
J

DaveO

New User
DaveO
From what I have read the Ridgid 14" BS is a very good value for the cost. When you add in the convenience of being able to purchase from a local store and save shipping I think that you have a winner in the category of value priced BS. I have a Griz 0555Z like Rob, but I opted for a Ridgid 6" jointer for the easy of immediate satisfaction when purchasing.
Most of your "entry level tools" like a 14" BS, 6" jointer, 12" lunch box planer are made pretty much the same (possibly in the same factory, with a different painting route). They can be differentiated by ease of purchase, company support (warranty/ease of communication), and what you want your shop color scheme to be :roll:
MTCW,
Dave:)

Sully

New User
jay
One other thing I forgot to mention with respect to the Ridgid. I don't think you will find a better "warranty" on a tool. They have a Lifetime Service Agreement on their tools.

$0.02
J

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I think you will be well-served with the Ridgid tool and it may even be enough for all your eventual needs. If you find yourself going down the path of "gee, I wish I had more sawing capacity" then don't sweat it. Put it up for sale and buy the one you need. At that point you will have an excellent idea of exactly what your craft and skill needs or demands. In the meantime you will have lots of fun!

In short - don't sweat from analysis paralysis. Someone has presented you with a very nice gift and there are any number of us here who would love to have this problem!

Oh yeah - don't forget to post the pix when you bring it home so that we can send you what you deserve ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS